Senior Goodbye: Robby Filec

Hi+Robby

Hi Robby

Robby Filec, Story Editor

Four years can change a man. These words were spoken to me by Ethan Gallegos, class of 2012, and put into his senior goodbye. It was meant to be a joke, something I would say as I too wrote my senior goodbye. However these words are pretty accurate. High school does change you, and it starts to make you the person you are.

Clarion has always been a constant in my high school career, and leaving it a semester early is a very weird feeling. My years in Clarion have been filled with fond memories, whether eating copious amounts of ice cream, singing and making a fool of myself, writing a fulfilling story, or enjoying the company of friends. Those friends have come and gone: Ethan, Cameron, McKenna, Niko, Morgan, too many more to name. And who could forget the good ole Steven Baer? Considering I’ve thought about what I would write for this since freshman year, and having submitted one every year, I feel like there is so much to say, but I would probably have to create a web site, or a really long opinion column about Clarion and high school in general.

There are so many teachers to thank, first and foremost, Dan Mancoff for putting up with my crazy and foolish character in class, and for being a great teacher and someone who has helped me with my writing. I would also like to thank Dan Bonarigo, for being a superb role model and excellent teacher. To Tom Dignan, for the ability to make anyone laugh, and to show me how you can learn without straining yourself. Coach Todd, even though you were only my coach for one year, you have still been a great life coach. Someday I will write a book with you in it! To Kim Hayes, I would like to express my deepest thanks and heartfelt appreciation; you have shown me what it looks like to care for one another in school, thank you for being at RB and brightening the halls. There are so many more teachers to thank at RB, whom I cannot thank enough.

Clarion has always been there, you know? The kids have changed, but writing for the newspaper and the joking, family type environment has been an important part of my life, and my high school career.

For anyone who is wondering, Clarion means “trumpet” in French. It’s worthwhile to know that.

So on to a new chapter in my life, in which I won’t be able to sing and put it online, or see how many cupcakes I can put in my mouth in the Library Lab.