Basketball looks onward to Morton East, Sectional Championship

Team defeats OPRF, Currie

Players Mark Smith, Jake Lucas and Jalen Brooks look at the basket waiting for a ball.

Steven Baer, Editor-in-Chief

On Tuesday, March 10, RB beat Curie 83-73 to secure a spot in the Sectional championship. The Condors hung around for a majority of the game and going into halftime they had the game notched at 38. The Bulldogs’ potent offense, however, would be too much for Curie. The Bulldogs went off as they hit 11 threes, and were nearly perfect from the free throw line (15-18). The x-factor for the Bulldogs was the play of senior leader Sam Johnson. He performed brilliantly, as he dropped 24 points and secured seven rebounds. Sophomore Jalen Clanton played incredibly as well, putting up 22 points and six assists.

With Morton’s Sectional semi-final win over St. Ignaitus, the stage has been set for the Sectional title game. Riverside-Brookfield vs. Morton. Bulldogs vs. Mustangs. The West side of Harlem Avenue vs. the East. The buzz has been felt from the outskirts of Cicero to the heart of Brookfield. The Bulldogs are trying to accomplish a feat that has never been accomplished here at RB. They’re trying to win their first ever Sectional championship. However a very tough Morton team stands in between the Bulldogs and that ever so elusive sectional title. The Mustangs are led by senior leader, and Harvard commit, Weisner Perez; who, since returning from an injury, has been the key to Morton’s great playoff run. Likely matching up with Perez will be the Bulldogs’ senior, Sam Johnson. Coming off of a brilliant 24 point performance against Curie, Johnson looks to finally bring RB basketball into the Promised Land.

If beating the 24th ranked team in state wasn’t hard enough, they’ll have to play the Mustangs on their home court. While it is essentially a home game for Morton, RB’s 6th Man will do its best to neutralize, if not overpower, the Mustang student section. Tickets to the game have become scarce, and some parents of players are even struggling to get their hands on them.  The atmosphere at Morton East is sure to be electric. Hype for the game by RB fans has been unbelievable.

“I’m very excited,” said RB super fan Mario Salgado Jr. “The atmosphere in the school is phenomenal. This is one of the biggest game since the Tim Brasic-Shatone Powers era. Hopefully we’ll come up on top, and win a Sectional.”

RB fans are fully expecting the Bulldogs to beat the Mustangs. But win or lose, the scene at Morton East will be a spectacle in itself.

The Bulldogs next game will be Friday, March 13, at Morton East High School.

Victory over OPRF leads to first Regional title since 2011

On Friday, March 6, RB’s basketball team took on the Huskies of OPRF. The Bulldogs went into their game looking to capture their seventh ever regional title and their first since 2011.

The Dogs came out looking like a team on a mission. In the first quarter the Dogs jumped out to 20-5 lead. The Huskies would, however, claw their way back into the game. By halftime they had shrunk the deficit to 14. Throughout the second half the Huskies hung around and kept the Bulldog lead to around 10. In the last minute of play, through a few clutch threes from OPRF star Dallas Flowers, the Huskies were able to cut the lead to six. However the Bulldogs iced the game at the free throw line.

RB point guard Daniko Jackson was phenomenal from the charity stripe, as he nailed all 12 of his free throw attempts. Also coming up big was junior Mark Smith, who dropped 18 points, as well as snagging seven rebounds.

The Bulldogs’ win advanced them to the Sectional semi-final, where they took on Curie. RB went into the matchup with a 26-3 record and a no. 12 ranking in state according to CSN Chicago. While the Condors were 19-6 and ranked no. 14 according to CSN.  The Condors who won last year’s Chicago Public School Championship, came off of a three point victory over Fenwick.