Track continues its winning ways with a win at Bulldog Relays

Senior Lewis Rogers dominated in his races at the invitational.

Nick Cundari, Staff Reporter

The Bulldog track and field teams have once again yielded great results from their hard work this season. With the boys finishing in the Top 5 at almost all of their meets this season, they are definitely showing the same level of competitiveness as they have in past years.

At the 47th Bulldog Relays Invitational, the boys won first place for the second straight year.  The Bulldogs performed extraordinarily well in almost every event of the day, with multiple RB athletes taking first place in their respective events. They placed and earned points in 19 of 20 events which helped boost them to a well deserved victory at home.

Juniors Mike McCabe, Marvin Mckenzie, and Matt Chapp have been flying past the competition all spring, which comes as no surprise to anyone who has had the pleasure of watching them compete the last two seasons. The trio have been state qualifiers since they were freshman, and plan on placing at state later this spring.

“We’ve worked really hard to get the little things right. The workouts in the winter and spring weren’t easy, but the results are well worth the time and effort we put in,” McCabe said.

Accompanied a team of strong sophomores and juniors, Senior Lewis Rogers continues to improve his athletic record as a Bulldog. Rogers was an All Conference football captain for the Bulldogs this past fall, and he continues to show immense amounts of leadership on the track team as well. Rogers’ leadership and outstanding athletic ability make him a key factor for the success the team has achieved thus far.

Along with the success the Boys Track team has had this season, the girls have been putting in work as well. Junior pole vaulter Jackie LaBelle is once again putting up impressive numbers and  looks to make it to state this spring.

The number of athletes competing for the girls track team this spring are way up from last year, and that can only spell positive things in the future. Although the team may not be as experienced as the boys, they have heart and an undeniable determination to get better every day.

“We always want to win the next race. No matter who we’re racing or where we are, our goal is to do the best we can,” said Junior Renee Kunkel

The boys go to the Hindsdale South Invitational May 2 to once again compete at a high level, while the girls will travel to Conant High School.

“This is the home stretch now,” said Senior Dominic Bongiorno. “We just need to stay focused and continue to work hard in practice if we want to win conference again.”