Clarion 2013-14: Year in Review

Unfortunate though it was, the Homecoming vandalism this year was one of the headline stories of 2013-14.

Kiera Donnamario, Staff Reporter

This year Clarion has covered a large range of topics. We’ve done dances, pranks, grants, and even the smallest of news. Narrowing it down to just a few major headlines was tough but somehow I’ve managed to pick out some of the best stories we’ve put out this year. They were entertaining, informing on RB news, and overall a nice read.

Nine Million Dollar Grant
The school receives $8.9 million dollars in delayed grant money from the state of Illinois.

Homecoming Vandalism
Students and staff arrive to see the old main entrance to the building defaced with graffiti, furniture, and chickens.

Announcement of Chromebooks
A board presentation by Assistant Principal Kristin Smetana and Tech Coordinator Mike Connors signals the arrival of 1-to1 computing at RB.

What Does Clarion Say?
It might seem silly, but this song swept through the Internet this year and Clarion was there to enjoy it.

Teacher Contracts Renewed
Education at RB could continue once the board and teachers settled their negotiations for the next two years.

The Many Fire Alarms of RB
Minor electrical problems kept sending RB students out into the polar vortex this year.

Bylmsa leaves to become Assistant Superintendent at Hinsdale
RB’s principal for the past several years moved onwards and upwards.

Soft Lock Down
A hoax gun threat kept everyone locked into 7th hour during February and sparked school security discussions.

Day of Service
No longer  Month of Service, hundreds turned out to donate volunteer time and effort.

Smetana new principal, Hayes new assistant
With Bylsma leaving, RB’s whole administration got a new look.