Tis’ the giving season

Isabel Hughes, Staff Reporter

The RBHS Student Association never disappoints. Whether it is a planned activity or a donation, Riverside Brookfield High School goes the extra mile to give those who need it a helping hand.

Thanksgiving Baskets this year worked with Community Support Services (CSS) in Brookfield to help families in the community that are not able to afford a Thanksgiving meal. Different classes and clubs were encouraged to collect non-perishable goods such as mashed potatoes, stuffing, and cornbread, and collect monetary donations to go towards gifts cards to buy needy families turkeys.

Along with Thanksgiving Baskets, Student Association runs Christmas themed projects. Santa Anonymous is a program in which teachers sign up for their class to raise money to put towards a gift for a person in the community, typically an adult with an intellectual disability. There is a list from CSS in Brookfield where RB gets information on who may need help. The teachers can either donate the money raised to Student Association who will use the money to buy the gifts, or they can buy them and then give the gifts to be donated.

“We have been doing this for 12 plus years,” said Morgan Kraus, the Student Association secretary. “It used to be a little different, but it always was a way for us to help the community.”

Kraus said that RB gave gifts to 30 individuals and all of the leftover money was donated to Erika’s Lighthouse, a club that focuses on depression, or FCCLA service projects.

“Both of these groups have the same goal – to provide gifts to individuals,” Kraus said.

Monetary donations were due on Friday, December 11, and gift donations due Monday, December 14. Student Association delivered the gifts the next day to CSS.

Along with Santa Anonymous, Student Association held a coat and blanket drive. Boxes were placed around the school and community to collect as many coats and blankets as possible. Lightly used hats, coats, gloves, and blankets are donated to the Salvation Army before Christmas.