Club Feature: Bulldogs for Life

Club Feature: Bulldogs for Life

Cameron Bolton, Staff Reporter

In light of the Supreme Court abortion case in Texas starting March 2, the staff at Clarion decided to look at the issue a little closer to home. Bulldogs for Life is an unofficial club at RB that meets before and after school to discuss the current state of abortion. Though it’s more complicated than that.

“Bulldogs for Life’s goal is to promote respect for life from conception to natural death. It is a scientific fact that at the moment of conception a unique human being is created,” explained Marianne Swon, a para professional who helps out with special needs and some of the math classes. She has also sponsored the Bulldogs for Life club for the last seven years.

During the first semester, Bulldogs for Life tried to meet once or twice per month.

During the November meeting in room 175, Mrs. Swon, Cody Swon, Joey and Michael Rosa sat around a table discussing current subjects surrounding abortion. Typically club meetings involve discussions around current topics.

“Abortion had just become a word to people, not something with any substance,” says Mrs. Swon.

“It’s a good club, it stands for something. We’re working our hardest to get the message out,” said junior Cody Swon, a member since his freshmen year and grandson of the club sponsor.

Very few females attended the meeting, but that wasn’t an indication that there aren’t any female members. There are female members. Anyone who is pro-life, but can’t make the meetings, stays in contact through e-mail.

“I believe every woman should have the right to choose what to do with their body,” said non-club member, junior Rosie Nolan, who also thinks that Bulldogs for Life should back up their facts with sources.

Recognizing that a common argument against the pro-life position is that women should be able to choose what to do with their bodies, Marianne Swon was asked how Bulldogs for Life responds to that.

“Abortion is not simply a matter of a woman choosing to do something with her body,” Swon said. “The baby growing inside her is a separate person with his or her own genetic make-up.”

Since Bulldogs for Life deals with such a complicated topic, it isn’t officially recognized as a club at RB.

“By federal law you can meet before or after school to discuss complicated topics,” explained Assistant Principal David Mannon. They are allowed to meet on school grounds due to freedom of speech and as long as they don’t disrupt the school day itself.

“You need to take into account what they’re speaking about,” Mannon said, when asked if there can be a club about anything at RB. He went on to explain how there are certain limits to freedom of speech.

Bulldogs for Life recently participated in the March for Life on January 17. They are also thinking about possibly showing a movie in the spring called the “40 Movie,” which has people on both sides of the issue sharing their views and experiences. In addition, they also have a pro-life t-shirt day, when students can receive more information with the t-shirt they order.

“I’m hoping to open up more dialogue with people on both sides of the issue,”  Mrs. Swon explained when asked about Bulldogs for Life’s goals.