I thought North vs. South was bad

Biggest fight since Team Edward vs. Team Jacob.

Our Rating: 7 out of 10

What's Your Rating of ?

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 10.0/10 (1 vote cast)

Cameron Bolton, Staff Reporter

Following the numerous instances of collateral damage caused by superhero activities, Captain America: Civil War depicts a Registration Act to limit the abilities of the Avengers.

Tony Stark/ Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) supports the act, as he is still wracked with guilt over having created a homicidal robot bent on the destruction of all humanity (James Spader).

Steve Rogers/ Captain America (Chris Evans) opposes the act because he believes the Avengers should decide where they should or shouldn’t go, and not put faith in military higher-ups who would cite jurisdiction over what’s morally right. He feels this way despite the fact that he’s a soldier and that’s exactly what soldiers do.

The directors and screenwriters are honestly less interested in following that conflict and mostly focus on the clearly more evil Zemo (Daniel Brühl), who is obsessed with the Avengers and a mission undertaken by Bucky Barnes/ The Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan).

Going in I wasn’t expecting much, so I was kind of surprised at how well made this movie is. Not the greatest movie I’ve ever seen, but nowhere near terrible. It has good action, good characters, and, perhaps most important of all, it tells a story.

Personally, I didn’t like Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I found the plot to be very predictable and cliched. Which makes me glad to say that while there is some predictability in Civil War, it’s nowhere near the same level.

The thing I most enjoyed about this movie is that I felt all the numerous superheroes in this movie get to have their moment at some point. Special mention goes to newcomers T’Challa/ Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman) and Peter Parker/ Spider-Man (Tom Holland), who were both really good. They were so good, I hope the latter doesn’t get rebooted in a couple months.

Also, Zack Snyder, this is how you deconstruct superhero fight scenes.  Not all that Man of Steel/Batman v. Superman nonsense.

Something that I think is kind of funny is Zemo. A quick google search reveals that the filmmakers have essentially admitted that the film incarnation is in name only. Which, to me, begs the question of why they didn’t just use an original character. Besides having some kind of brand recognition, of course.

Another thing I think is kind of funny is the title, because this isn’t a Captain America movie. This is very clearly a sequel to Avengers: Age of Ultron. It’s much closer in tone and structure.

I thought North vs. South was bad, 10.0 out of 10 based on 1 rating