Seniors face college decisions

Shannon Wrzesinski

Senior Maddie Hanrahan confers with counselor Renee Thomas.

Shannon Wrzesinski, Staff Reporter

With early action over and regular decision fast approaching, RB seniors have a lot to think about. The college they choose has the potential to shape the future for themselves, their country, and the world.

Senior Erik Hartwig plans on joining the ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Corps) program. The program allows Hartwig to study any major at a four year university of his choosing as long as he minors in military science.  In exchange for the military paying for his schooling, when he graduates college he must join as an officer.

“I chose to do ROTC because I love my country and have always wanted to serve,” said Hartwig. “There’s no way I could pay for college otherwise, so ROTC takes out both those birds with one stone.”

He intends on going to the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh and majoring in Environmental Engineering. Hartwig wants to not only serve his country, but the whole world.

“I see environmental problems as the greatest threat to mankind, so as an environmental engineer I would love to help people in third world countries out by improving things like their water supply,” said Hartwig.

Senior Rosie Nolan plans on making an impact on our country through speech and the written word. Her dream is to work for NPR (National Public Radio).

“I can’t imagine myself doing anything outside of the world of media and talking to people,” Nolan said. “All I know now is that I don’t want some office job and I want to be interactive with others.”

She has applied to Wellesley, Barnard, Bryn Mawr, Marquette, Sarah Lawrence, Fordham, and Northwestern.

“I love Wellesley, Barnard, and Bryn Mawr because they’re small liberal arts women’s colleges and I really like that philosophy,” said Nolan.

She liked the writing program at Sarah Lawrence and that Fordham waved the application fee. Her ideal school is currently Wellesley.

“It’s got small class sizes, a focus on collaborative work, a gorgeous campus right outside of Boston, and an incredible network of women all around the world,” Nolan said.

Nolan’s advice to seniors who have no idea what they want to do or where they want to go is to attend a liberal arts college.

“It’ll give you a well rounded education in fields of study you may not have explored before and you might find something you never learned about in high school is your true passion,” said Nolan.

Senior Maddie Hanrahan is extremely passionate about music and plans on pursuing a career in vocal performance.

“I’m majoring in vocal performance because I’ve always loved to sing and music is the one thing that makes complete sense to me,” said Hanrahan. “It’s scary and risky but if I don’t do it, I’ll regret.”

She has applied to Illinois Wesleyan, Indiana University, DePaul University, and University of Illinois. Hanrahan applied to Illinois Wesleyan and Indiana University because they have great music schools and she loves the overall atmosphere. She is applying to DePaul and and University of Illinois because she has always loved the city and they are good schools academically.

Hanrahan did not always see her future as clear as she does now. She decided to make singing a career path her sophomore year. That is when she started to really work for it. Her advice for those who enjoy anything in the fine arts or any hobby and want to make a career out of it, is to never give up.

“Don’t let anyone tell you you can’t do it because it’s unstable and don’t let anyone judge you for it,” said Hanrahan. “The decision is yours. It’s up to you if you want a career that you love or a stable career and no one can judge which you pick. If you love something, pursue it, chase it, don’t let it get away. Work for it and put the time in. Any career path is valid.”