We have five toes, so why not wear Five Fingers?

Robby Filec, Staff Reporter

I received a pair of Vibram Five Finger Komodo Sport LS for Christmas. Quite a mouthful.  I don’t know why they are called Five Fingers when they should really be called Five Toes, but ask yourself which name sounds better. I had asked for them, so I was excited when I got them. I wanted a pair because they seemed really neat and I heard they were more natural and healthy to walk in than regular shoes. I had also talked to a few friends who wear them, and they recommended them for running and just in general. I can tell you, they are very different from regular shoes.

There are many different types of the Five Fingers, and the kind that I received were the type leaning more towards running, though all the varieties are suitable for running. It is important to break them in first, wearing them for an hour a day or so. I just wore them an hour one day, and then I wore them as my regular shoes. The experience of wearing them is the equivalent of walking barefoot, except with more protection. The first time I ran in them was very different than running in regular shoes. They hurt more when running on the sidewalk, but felt a lot better when running on grass. It helped to run on my toes and not to heel strike since the shoes offer less support.

Whether or not you will like Five Fingers shoes really depends on what you plan to use them for.  I would recommend them for running and walking, but certainly not tennis, basketball, pick up football, anything where it is pretty easy to roll an ankle. The fact that there is no support means that it is easier to hurt yourself at first, and wearing them at times can get painful. Don’t let that discourage you though. The times I wear my regular shoes, I do not like the way it feels as much.

Vibram Five Fingers can be pricey.  I got mine on sale for 70 dollars or so. They are regularly 100 dollars and up.  The socks, which are important to have, cost like 10 dollars a pair wherever you look. I purchased my Five Fingers and socks at REI. It can be a turn off to buy them, but if you compare the purchase to a 100 dollar pair of basketball or skater shoes or UGGs, the price is the same.  It just depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Once you wear the a pair of Five Fingers, you will not want to go back, unless you break your foot in them. Even then you still may enjoy them, because they are that awesome.

I recommend the Vibram Five Fingers of any kind. However,  I do like the Komodo Sport LS specifically.

Robby Filec, Staff Reporter

They, (they being doomsayers,) were wrong. They, (the same people,) said the world was going to end in 2012. They, (yes the very same people,) did not realize that 2014-2015 would be Robby Filec’s last year of Clarion, and that the world would  end a few years later than planned. Unless he can do something about it… Along with his older, vast array of super powers, he gained new powers after being pushed into radioactive waste by Niko Radicanin, (which is a long story.) These powers include the ability to stuff cupcakes whole into his mouth, quote movies excessively, and sing in the shower, which may give him an edge in saving the world from total destruction.

Robby Filec is a senior (or in 12th grade,) at Riverside Brookfield High School and obviously works on Clarion. He is the President of Student Association Exeecutive Board. He is also very active in Young Life and owns his own landscaping company. (He does free estimates for people in the Riverside Brookfield area.) Filec enjoys spending time with his family and has a younger but taller brother (Frankie,) at RB. Filec is unable to believe how fast time has flown since he wrote his first staff profile just three years ago. He is excited to make his last year in Clarion and at RB a memorable one.

He can be contacted by [email protected]