Who’s New At RB: Danielle Drumm

Michael Fanta, Staff Reporter

RB is a big place.  Almost every year, we get new teachers to fill the spots left by the old ones.  Here is an interview with Danielle Drumm, a new study skills teacher here at RB.

Clarion: Where did you go to high school?

Drumm: I went to high school in West Chicago, which is west of here out by Naperville and Charles area.

Clarion: Where did you go to college?

Drumm: For my undergraduate’s degree I went to Illinois State University, and for my masters, I went to Northern Illinois University.

Clarion: What was your major in college?

Drumm: My undergraduate degree is in history education, and my master’s degree is a learning behavior specialist.

Clarion: When did you realize that you wanted to teach?

Drumm: When I was in high school, I had a history teacher that was really inspiring to me.  My senior year, he encouraged me to take some specialized inquirium classes on Lincoln, and I absolutely love Lincoln, I’m a big history nerd, so I wanted to study history in college.  When I was in high school, I always said that I didn’t want to be a teacher.  Then I got to college, and I really wanted to do history, but I didn’t know what I was going to do with it.  I took a couple classes, and a couple of my teachers encouraged me to do teaching.  That’s what I went into, and I ended up happy that I did.

Clarion: Did your teaching career start at the high school level?

Drumm: It started at the high school level.

Clarion: What made you choose RB as a place to teach at?

Drumm: I just moved to Chicago, and I really loved the district I worked in before, but I needed to find a new job closer to home.  RB had an opening, and I was excited about it, and I’m really happy to be here.

Clarion: What classes do you teach?

Drumm: I teach study skills.

Clarion: What grades do you teach?

Drumm: It’s grades nine through twelve.

Clarion: How is RB going so far?

Drumm: I’m enjoying it here. The staff is really supportive, it’s a great team, it’s a wonderful place to be in.  I enjoy having my students.

Clarion: Any surprises, or anything unexpected being new to the school?

Drumm: One of the biggest complaints I hear that surprised me is parking, because the parking lot is really small.  I’ve heard that student parking is a problem too.

Clarion: What do you find most challenging as a teacher at RB?

Drumm: Nothing really, because everyone is so supportive, and the programs seem really great.

Clarion: What do you find most rewarding?

Drumm: Everyone has a positive attitude, and everyone wants to help students.  Teachers are engaged in finding new methods, and supporting programs, and things like that.

Clarion: If you taught at a different high school previously, what is the biggest adjustment you have to make while teaching at RB?

Drumm: I previously worked at an alternative school, for students who got kicked out of a regular high school, that couldn’t make it in the comprehensive high school.  This is a very different environment.  That environment was much more structured, and students didn’t have a lot of privileges.  I really missed fun things like homecoming, and dances, and all the different activities that students are involved in, like the newspaper.  We didn’t have anything like that there.

Clarion: Could those students participate in sports?

Drumm: They could go back to their regular high school to do sports, but we didn’t have sports.  We had clubs, so I did cooking club with my students, but other than that, we didn’t really have anything.  I love being back in the regular high school setting, and having access to all those fun things.

Michael Fanta, Staff Reporter

Before you see Michael’s bio, you will see his terrible picture.  Why are all of his pictures so bad?  Who knows?   The camera gods are never kind...