Special Olympics Goes for Gold

Vytas Cuplinskas

4×100 relay team

Micah Rookus, Staff Reporter

RB has participated in the Special Olympics for over 15 great years, with many successes such as in 2013, with Josh Sylvie’s victory in state for the tennis ball throw. Last year, RB sent three athletes to state. Josh Sylvie, Maggie Rogers, and Anthony Camichio.

This year, there are six Special Olympics athletes participating in state. These athletes are Shawn Spera, Alex Lange, Sigi Cuplinskas, Colleen Meade, Eileen Cecconi, and Jennifer Bartlett.

“The goal of Special Olympics is to teach students hard work, competitiveness, and the importance of effort and sportsmanship. It is a competitive endeavor and we strive to do our best and have as much fun as possible,” said John Fields, a Special Olympics sponsor.

Shawn Spera will be participating in state for the Softball Throw. Alex Lange will be participating in state for the 100 meter run. Sigi Cuplinskas will be participating in state for the 100 meter run. Eileen Cecconi will be participating in state for the Softball Throw and the 50 meter run. Jennifer Bartlett will be participating in state for the Softball Throw. Sigi, Colleen, Eileen and Jennifer will be participating in the 4×100 meter relay.

“I think the goal of any sport is to boost self-confidence and I believe that Special Olympics teaches our athletes team work, effort, and grit like all the sports at RB,” said Fields.

During the winter, the Special Olympics participates in Basketball, and in the Spring, Track. Practices are Tuesdays and Thursdays.

“The goal of Special Olympics is to teach students hard work, competitiveness, and the importance of effort and sportsmanship. It is a competitive endeavor and we strive to do our best and have as much fun as possible,” said Fields.

We wish our Bulldogs good luck and support them as they move on to state.