Have a Problem? JKB can help!

The JKB teaches freshman about conflict resolution,

J Kyle Braid inductee Anthony Colon helped participate in conflict resolution workshops with freshmen this year.

Morgan Divittorio

Morgan Divittorio, Staff Reporter

Have you ever been in a situation you don’t know how to deal with? Have you ever wondered how to deal with fights before they even start? Have no fear, the J Kyle Braid is here to help! Every year JKB, which is a group of student leaders from RB who work with the J Kyle Braid Foundation, give presentations about conflict resolution to the new freshman class. These presentations focus on how to deal with conflicts as well as how to avoid them in the future.

Junior Anthony Colon, who is currently a member of JKB, knows how important it is for freshmen to get advice from upperclassmen.

“I definitely think the freshmen look up to the upperclassmen to see how we would handle situations like these,” he said. “It really does set the tone of how everybody should be acting.”

JKB members have been preparing for these presentations since the start of the year. “We’ve been meeting every Wednesday morning before school to plan out the skits and the discussions.  It seems to pay off because the freshmen seem to enjoy it”

And all that preparing really has paid off with freshman Cameron Shaw. “I think this really will help my class with future problems,”  she said.  She also described why she enjoyed the presentations so much. “I loved the skits. They were really funny and got everyone involved. They helped keep us really into what they were telling us,” she said.

Skits? Discussions? So does it really make a difference? Sponsor Jenna Obsurn, thinks so.

“Last year, we surveyed all Freshmen students after the Conflict Resolution Skills lesson and about 25% of last year’s Freshmen class were able to provide a specific example of when they were able to use and apply the conflict resolution skills in their life,” she said.