Hoops fever is sky high

Vince Arvis, Staff Reporter

With the boy’s basketball season finally here, Riverside Brookfield High School could not be more pumped. With nine players returning for another season, the Bulldogs are back and better than ever.

The starting five players are a strong core of athletes including three all conference returners: Six foot one inch guard Senior Sean McGonagill, six foot guard Senior Billy VandeMerkt, and six foot two inch guard Junior Ryan Jackson. Added to those three are six foot five inch center Senior Terrence Reed, who will be commanding the paint this year, and six foot one inch guard/forward Junior Watoris Slater, who will be a rebounding machine. Both of these players are sure to help ensure the team victory.

The Bulldogs also have a strong core of players that will be coming off the bench. Six foot eight inch center Junior Alex Dziagwa, six foot four inch guard Senior Mike Hansa, six foot one inch guard/forward Senior Mark McDonagh, five foot eleven inch guard Senior Nick Arias, and five foot eleven inch guard Senior Matt Meindl, will all provide relief to the starting five.

The Bulldogs opened up their season this past weekend at the Bill VandeMerkt tournament hosted at RB. The team dominated the competition winning their second consecutive title by beating Payton 65-26, Hinsdale South 73-49, and rival Nazareth 69-45. 

The Bulldogs are looking to keep their undefeated season going by taking on the Tigers of Elmwood Park on Friday, December 4th at 7 p.m. Come cheer on the Bulldogs, wear your blue and white, and be ready to scream your heart out.