Bears top Packers in age old rivalry

Photo Courtesy of MCT Campus (9/28/10)

David Skowronski, Staff Reporter

Its been a rivalry that’s been going on since 1921: the Chicago Bears and Greenbay Packers.  Some of the game’s greatest like Bart Star, Ray Nitshki , Walter Payton and Mike Ditka have all been a part of the long and fierce rivalry. Two of the game’s best quarterbacks have been introduced to the rivalry as showed on Monday night, Bears QB Jay Cutler and Packers QB Aaron Rodgers were in the showdown until the end of the game. It came down to the leg of one of the game’s most accurate kickers, Bears Kicker Roby Gould, who put one through the up rights with seconds to spare.

Despite Aaron Rodgers passing for 361 yards and one TD, his Packers couldn’t prevail over the always tough Bears. His favorite target of the night was TE Jermicheal  Finely who had a outstanding game receiving,  hauling in 9 receptions for 115 yards. The thing that really hurt the Packers Monday night were the mental faults. The Packers had 18 penalties for 152 yards,  which sets the record of penalties in a game.

Now for the Bears it was a solid, good game for them. Their leading rusher of the day was the Cutler,  who had three carries for 37 yards. But what really helped them was the always stout Bears defense. The defense has allowedthe fewest rushing  yards of any team in the first three games. The have been only allowing an outstanding 64 yards a game. Monday they allowed only 63 yards on the ground.  They also got some help from reliable punt return man Devin Hester who made a big return which really helped the bears momentum.