Despite controversy, wrestlers grapple on

Photo Courtesy of RB Athletics

Seniors John Schraidt and Edwardo Orihuela pose after a tournament.

Bryan Doyle, Staff Reporter

As the 2010-11 men’s wrestling regular season comes to a close, the quest for a state championship begins as well. The 2A regional leg of tournament starts this Saturday at Lemont high school at ten AM.

This year the team had a season filled with struggle, losing head coach, Bill Kucinski, mid-season. He was replaced by teacher and former head coach Neil Dughetti.

Senior Captain John Schraidt said, “It was a struggling year for the team. This was a much more individual year than a team one.” 

Schraidt and Edwardo Orihuela were named all conference wrestlers this season. Wrestlers to lookout for during the ISHA tournament are Schraidt, Orihuela, and Keegan Buttimer.

The week following after regionals, the qualifying wresters will have to wrestle at Lincoln-Way West high school Friday and Saturday for sectionals. Some of the top teams in the state, will be there like Montini, Marmion, and Yorkville.

1 Comment

One Response to “Despite controversy, wrestlers grapple on”

1. wrestling dad on February 7th, 2011 1:12 pm

I’m curious to know if the wrestlers support the decision to let Coach K go. As the parent of a wrestler that will soon wrestle for RB, I’m troubled that they let a coach with his wrestling pedigree go- it’s not every day that you get an alum of the Iowa wrestling program to coach your team.

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 5.0/5 (1 vote cast)