Not a month, just a Day of Service, but it’s back

Project NICE beautified the neighborhood back in the Fall, but now it's back and teamed up with a revived RB Day of Service on April 27.

McKenna Powers

Jori Zobel, Features Editor

The Day of Service is back and will be held Saturday April 27 from 8:30 am to noon, along with a celebration in the school cafeteria afterwards from noon to 1:00.  The Day of Service will coincide with Arbor Day, a holiday where individuals are encouraged to plant and care for trees.

What is the Day of Service?

Mary Lang Judy, the renovation consultant for the Day of Service, said, “The Day of Service is a highly organized group of service projects in each of the RBHS feeder communities where students will perform seasonal clean up and environmental services to enhance the beauty of the RBHS communities where we live.”

How does it work?

Judy said, “Student volunteers are assigned to specific projects to complete in teams throughout the communities.”

What do the projects consist of?

Judy said, ”These projects include Project NICE in Brookfield, the Butterfly Garden coordinated by the Brookfield Beautification Committee in cooperation with the Brookfield Zoo, and a Des Plaines River Sweep project through Riverside and North Riverside. Additionally, Best Buddies will hold a food drive at the School with all donations going to local community food banks.”

The Day of Service was last held in 2010 and had nearly 500 students volunteer, with the return of the Day of Service Judy has high hopes of matching the number of volunteers.