They Walked These Halls: Jill McGrath

Foreign Language DC Jill McGrath started out wanting to be an English teacher when she went to college.

Courtesy of Jill McGrath

Foreign Language Department Chair Jill McGrath graduated from RB in 1998. She was a very involved student who played in volleyball all four years and softball her first three. She was also involved in the Spanish Club.

After she graduated, she went to Eastern Illinois University, where she majored in Foreign Languages and Secondary Education. She started to teach at RB in 2006 as a Spanish teacher. When she returned, her former teachers turned into her co-workers. Some included Science teacher Dave Monti, Social Studies and Math teacher Dan Monahan, Social Studies Department Chair John Beasley, Social Studies teacher Angela Ziola, Science teacher Lori Sullivan, English teacher Tom Fuller, English teacher Kim Hayes,and Wellness teacher Linda Gorman.

As a student, McGrath always knew she wanted to be a teacher.

“But I wanted to teach English,” she said.  “When I got to college I was an English major and Spanish minor.”

Still plans can change.  “I did not like English as much in college and changed my major to Spanish and Secondary Education,” McGrath said.

Since returning to RB, McGrath has recognized a few changes in the school itself, Including the construction of the building. McGrath sees a lot of advantages to being both a teacher and an RB alum.

“I believe [there’s an advantage],” she said.  “It’s nice to know the building and be able to connect with your students about your experiences at RB and how things have changed.  I feel very much a part of this community.”

Overall McGrath loves teaching at RB.

“I have taught at two other schools and this is by far the best. The teachers are very caring and work very hard to make this a good experience for their students,” McGrath said.

About the Writers
Niko Radicanin, Editor-in-Chief

Niko is a famous reporter that travels the world. She has interviewed many people including but not limited to: Barack Obama, Michael Jackson, Robby Filec, and Kim Jong Un. (Cause she’s just that good). While she isn’t traveling the world in a luxurious yacht, she is competing in the Olympics in tennis as Serena William’s doubles partner. She only speaks Pig Latin, but can write in 54 other languages.

Niko is a Senior at RB. Niko is actively involved in badminton, Best Buddies and Young Life. This is her third year in Clarion, and she currently is the Editor-in-Chief. She aspires to attend college and major in journalism. Niko Radicanin can be reached at [email protected]

Kiera Donnamario, Public Relations Editor

Traveling through the caverns of planet Zebes, intergalactic bounty hunter Kiera Donnamario fights off the Space Pirates from spreading the deadly space parasites known as Metroids from taking over. She must face against their ultimate controller, Mother Brain, and the guardians Ridley and Kraid. It is her job to exterminate the entire species, under the orders of the Galactic Federation. However, a single baby who believes she is its’ mother is saved, she returns home sucessful, this time. 

In school, Kiera is involved in things like the RBHS Color Guard and Model United Nations. She’s a college bound senior now with her sights set on the future, which is looking bright. She is reprising her role as the Public Relations Editor, which puts her in charge of advertisement and social media.

Kiera can be reached at [email protected] with any questions, comments, or concerns.