Saying goodbye to Yogi

RB mourns loss of therapy dog

Robby Filec, Features Editor

Yogi, RB’s therapy dog, passed away on January 23.  Eight days ago, Yogi was diagnosed with bone cancer that had no possible treatment.

“He was put down  after one last rolling around in the snow, which was basically heaven for him,” Social Worker Mari Mortensen said.

Until two years ago, RB was the only Illinois high school to have a dog therapy program.

“Yogi was a family pet. I brought  him here when he was 16 weeks old so that he would make an attachment  to RBHS.  I think  it worked too well as Yogi often didnt want leave,” Mortensen said.   Due to many health problems, he was not at RB this year.

Yogi the Newfoundland was not just a lovable 140 pounds of fur and friendliness. He was a regular at the British Home, and due to his large size, was able to be petted by patients in wheelchairs. He also helped with physical therapy at Westlake Hospital and was a certified READ dog at the Oak Park Library. This means he would want a cookie every time a story was read to him, which would have been very funny to see.  Yogi became the third therapy dog at RB, following in the paw prints of Snuggles and Bailey.  Mortensen looked after Yogi.

Yogi was once mistaken by an RB neighbor for a bear that had escaped from the Brookfield Zoo.  Even when he was a puppy, he had bear-like qualities.

“He was 40 pounds at 16 weeks and looked like a bear cub,” Mortensen said. Yogi was fond of running, whether chasing students or geese.

RB is definitely has a hole in its heart because of Yogi’s passing.

Robby Filec, Staff Reporter

They, (they being doomsayers,) were wrong. They, (the same people,) said the world was going to end in 2012. They, (yes the very same people,) did not realize that 2014-2015 would be Robby Filec’s last year of Clarion, and that the world would  end a few years later than planned. Unless he can do something about it… Along with his older, vast array of super powers, he gained new powers after being pushed into radioactive waste by Niko Radicanin, (which is a long story.) These powers include the ability to stuff cupcakes whole into his mouth, quote movies excessively, and sing in the shower, which may give him an edge in saving the world from total destruction.

Robby Filec is a senior (or in 12th grade,) at Riverside Brookfield High School and obviously works on Clarion. He is the President of Student Association Exeecutive Board. He is also very active in Young Life and owns his own landscaping company. (He does free estimates for people in the Riverside Brookfield area.) Filec enjoys spending time with his family and has a younger but taller brother (Frankie,) at RB. Filec is unable to believe how fast time has flown since he wrote his first staff profile just three years ago. He is excited to make his last year in Clarion and at RB a memorable one.

He can be contacted by [email protected]