They Walked These Halls: Nicolette Sabatino

Nicolette Sabatino knew she wanted to teach, but did not expect to be coming back to RB to do it.

Kiera Donnamario

Nicolette Sabatino graduated in 2009, making her RB’s youngest teacher alumnus. When attending RB, Sabatino was a cheerleader all four years. She was a Best Buddies member, a volunteer Special Olympics Coach, an Associate Member of SA, and was on Orchesis for all four years as well. Sabatino has always wanted to be a teacher, but unsure of the subject.

“I just wasn’t sure exactly what I wanted to teach,” she said. “It was not until I worked at North Riverside Day Camp that I decided that I wanted to teach Special Ed. If I wasn’t going to be a teacher, I wanted to do something in the medical field.”

After graduating, Sabatino went to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, where she majored in Special Education. The 2013-2014 school year will be the first year Sabatino has taught at RB. As for working with people who taught her, Sabatino is ecstatic.

“It is awesome for me to see the people who have helped get me to where I am right now. They have all had some impact on my accomplishments,” Sabatino said.

As for knowing them on a first name basis, Sabatino has found it hard.

“It was a little weird coming back to RB. I am still having a hard time calling my old teachers by their first names because I still refer to them as Mr. and Mrs, but I am trying very hard,” she said.

Sabatino has noticed many changes during the short time she was gone.

“To start, just the look of the school is different. I was the last class here before the changes were finished. I will admit, even I was a little turned around when I came back,” she said.

Though the changes are for the better, she still gets nostalgic sometimes.

“The school is still great, obviously,” Sabatino said, “but I will say I miss my benches in the hallway by the main gym.”

Sabatino was glad that she was going to work somewhere that was familiar.

“It was a huge benefit to be somewhere where I knew many people still as well as where most of the rooms in the building were. It didn’t make it feel as stressful and I really was just excited to start,” she said.

As for the overall experience, Sabatino knows she made the right choice.

“I love it. I feel like I am exactly where I belong. To be back and participating on the other side. It is awesome,” she said.

All though this might not have been Sabatino’s first choice when she was younger, now she can’t imagine working anywhere else.

“If you told me I would be a special education teacher here at RB when I was a freshman in highschool, I would not have believed you. However, now, I could not imagine being anywhere else. I love my job, love the students, and I love the school! GO BULLDOGS!” she said.

Niko Radicanin, Editor-in-Chief

Niko is a famous reporter that travels the world. She has interviewed many people including but not limited to: Barack Obama, Michael Jackson, Robby Filec, and Kim Jong Un. (Cause she’s just that good). While she isn’t traveling the world in a luxurious yacht, she is competing in the Olympics in tennis as Serena William’s doubles partner. She only speaks Pig Latin, but can write in 54 other languages.

Niko is a Senior at RB. Niko is actively involved in badminton, Best Buddies and Young Life. This is her third year in Clarion, and she currently is the Editor-in-Chief. She aspires to attend college and major in journalism. Niko Radicanin can be reached at [email protected]

Kiera Donnamario, Public Relations Editor

Traveling through the caverns of planet Zebes, intergalactic bounty hunter Kiera Donnamario fights off the Space Pirates from spreading the deadly space parasites known as Metroids from taking over. She must face against their ultimate controller, Mother Brain, and the guardians Ridley and Kraid. It is her job to exterminate the entire species, under the orders of the Galactic Federation. However, a single baby who believes she is its’ mother is saved, she returns home sucessful, this time. 

In school, Kiera is involved in things like the RBHS Color Guard and Model United Nations. She’s a college bound senior now with her sights set on the future, which is looking bright. She is reprising her role as the Public Relations Editor, which puts her in charge of advertisement and social media.

Kiera can be reached at [email protected] with any questions, comments, or concerns.