Q&A: Smetana discusses goals for next year

Courtesy of RBTV

Rebecca Rusiecki, Editor-in-Chief

At the March 11 Board of Education meeting, Kristin Smetana was selected to serve as interim principal for the following school year.  Smetana will replace current principal Pam Bylsma, who has been hired as Assistant Superintendant for Hinsdale District 86. Smetana is currently the Assistant Principal for Curriculum, and looks forward to the new challenges serving as interim principal will present. The Clarion got in contact with Smetana to discuss her plans for next year.

Q:  How do you feel about being named interim principal for next year?

A: I am very honored to be selected and excited for this new role so that I can continue to build relationships with staff, students and parents in a new capacity.

Q:  What new responsibilities will you take on as interim principal?

A: As the instructional leader of the high school, I have more opportunities to interact and collaborate with staff, students, parents, parent organizations, and the community to build a school environment that maximizes student learning, academic performance, and social emotional growth.

Q: What do you hope to accomplish next year as interim principal? What will you focus on?

A: I would like to continue to collaborate with the staff to improve the overall operation of the high school so that teachers have the time and resources needed to support their efforts in the classroom to maximize student learning, academic performance, and social emotional growth.

Q: How do you think having worked as Assistant Principal for Curriculum will help you as interim principal?

A: Being the Assistant Principal for Curriculum has provided me with opportunities to collaborate with the staff on several different curriculum related projects. These relationships, along with the curriculum work, have prepared me to be the instructional leader because I am aware of the curriculum changes and initiatives that are needed to help maximizes student learning, academic performance.

Q: Will you remain as principal long term?

A: Dr. Skinkis and the Board of Education will be evaluating my performance at the end of the first semester. I am thrilled to be able to help RBHS in any capacity that I can.

Rebecca Rusiecki, Editor in Chief

Rebecca Rusiecki is thrilled to begin her third year on the Clarion Staff. As Editor in Chief, Rebecca has big plans for the paper. She is a Senior and hopes to use her last year at RB covering school events and improving the paper.

In addition to journalism, Rebecca also enjoys tennis and badminton. She participates on RB’s Model United Nations, Speech Team, and is a class officer for the class of 2014. She is obsessed with politics and loves to debate. She plans to study political science, go to law school and become further involved in government and politics.

Rebecca Rusiecki can be reached by e-mailing [email protected]