Retake it ’til you make it

RB Sophomore Gabby Tarrant works on a retake.

Vivian Marina Piña, Staff Reporter

Everyone gets test grades they aren’t happy with. We’ve all experienced the time when your “small mistakes” add up to disastrous points taken off a test, when your stress takes control over all your answers, or when busy schedules eliminate your time to study. Either way, having the option to retake a test helps tremendously to reduce students’ stress levels.

However, students aren’t always guaranteed a test retake, and sometimes there are no options for extra credit. Some teachers may not give retakes because past students have taken advantage of the privilege.

Some teachers, like RB science teacher Christy Hughes, either give you the option of the retake, or have you take an additional quiz that is similar to the original for extra points.

“It is difficult to move forward in Chemistry if you do not master certain concepts,” Hughes said.

This is true to practically every subject as well. Not understanding key concepts won’t let you progress through the class, so teachers like Hughes find it necessary to make sure their students understand their material.

“I like having the option to retake tests because it gives you the chance to bring up your grade. If you didn’t study as much as you should have, you have a chance to redeem yourself and truly learn the material. You don’t always do well the first time, and second chances are always great,” said Kara Nedvar, RB Sophomore. 

But if retakes aren’t allowed, how can you get a better grade the first time?

Believe it or not, doing all your homework really does have a positive impact on your grade. No one really likes homework, but in the grand scheme of things, completing your homework with effort will help your grades tremendously.

Vivian Marina Piña, Editor-in-Chief

Vivian Marina Piña started out as a farmboy on Tatooine. She grew up on a moisture farm with her Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen. Her life changed forever when her uncle purchased two droids that carried plans to the Imperial Death Star. When the droids ran away, she chased after them and got attacked by sand people (I don’t like sand. It’s coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere) but was saved by Ben Kenobi, who later revealed himself to be the legendary Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. Ben also revealed that he fought alongside Vivian’s father in the Clone Wars. Ben gave Vivian her father’s old lightsaber, and after grieving over the death of Vivian’s aunt and uncle, the two went to find a way to deliver the plans to the Rebel Alliance on the planet of Alderaan. Han Solo, captain of the Millennium Falcon, and Chewbacca agreed to take them to Alderaan. Along the way, Ben began training Vivian to become a Jedi, and taught her the ways of the Force. By the time the group arrived at Alderaan, it had been blown up by the Death Star. The Millennium Falcon was forced to land in the Death Star, but the group was able to escape and rescue Princess Leia. Unfortunately, Ben was killed by the Empire’s very own Sith Lord, Darth Vader. Vivian was able to give the plans to the Rebel Alliance and blow up the Death Star. Over the next three years, Vivian was hunted by Darth Vader. Vivian traveled to the Dagobah System to find Jedi Master Yoda and complete her Jedi training. Once the Sith Lord was able to find and battle Vivian, he revealed to her that he was her father after he cut her hand off. A year later, Vivian was forced to battle her father, who tried to turn her to the Dark Side of the Force. Vivian ended up refusing to fight her father, and the Emperor attacked her for refusing. Her father, however, was able to turn back to the Light Side of the Force and kill the Emperor. Peace was brought to the galaxy. Vivian has spent the last few years as a hermit, and people have been searching for pieces of a map to find her. However, you can reach her at [email protected].