Shelter in place caused by community event

Wednesday, January 27, at the beginning of 5th hour, Riverside Brookfield was placed under a “shelter in place” due to police activity in the surrounding community. This lasted roughly 45 minutes, and students were able to participate in normal class activities.

Although students expressed concern and worry, teachers and administration reassured them.

“I think if we were really in danger they wouldn’t let us keep having class,” said RBHS teacher Diane Marelli.

RBHS Principal Kristin Smetana kept parents informed through multiple emails.

“We have just confirmed with the Brookfield Police that there is no imminent threat to students or staff,” Smetana wrote yesterday during the shelter in place.

Clarion reached out to Assistant Principal David Mannon for a comment the next day.

“Yesterday we were notified that there was an incident in the community and we relied on local law enforcement agencies to warn us if anything advanced, and as a precaution, because there was no imminent threat to the building at anytime,” Mannon said. “But as a precaution they wanted us to go into a shelter in place. That’s why we made the call to do that.”

Brookfield Police Press Release

About the Writers
Niko Radicanin, Editor-in-Chief

Niko is a famous reporter that travels the world. She has interviewed many people including but not limited to: Barack Obama, Michael Jackson, Robby Filec,...

Morgan DiVittorio, Story Editor

Morgan DiVittorio is secretly an under cover agent who works for the CIA. She is one of President Obama's most trusted workers. She helps take down criminals...

McKenna Powers, Editor-in-Chief

McKenna Powers isn't just a regular fourth year reporter for the Clarion, she's also a behind the scenes spy. Powers captures all of the news, right...

Kiera Donnamario, Public Relations Editor

Traveling through the caverns of planet Zebes, intergalactic bounty hunter Kiera Donnamario fights off the Space Pirates from spreading the deadly space...