ACT to be replaced by SAT

Gabrielle Tarrant and Vivian Marina Piña

In December, Illinois decided to switch its funding of the ACT college entrance exam and fund the SAT for high school juniors instead.

The ACT and SAT come with some differences, but the tests also have similarities.

“The SAT is more about what you can do as a learner,” Kylie Gregor, RBHS Assistant Principal for Curriculum and Instruction said. “The ACT tries to sort through people, but the SAT is more about giving a fair assessment of what a student can do.”

There are also academic differences in the tests. The SAT has a bigger emphasis on vocabulary and covers less math content. The ACT has four sections to the test, while the SAT has two.

The SAT that will be given to students is the newest version of the test. It no longer penalizes students for guessing. For the math portion, there’s a calculator and a non-calculator portion of the math section of the test.

Students will still have the option to take the ACT even though the state has decided to switch to the SAT.

“The SAT is a free test, and if you can use it for college admission, we want students to do well on it,” RBHS principal Kristin Smetana said. “We know students will still continue to take the ACT too.”

The administration is still uncertain when RB students will switch over to the SAT.

“At this point, we don’t have a concrete plan because the state funding hasn’t come through yet, and until the state passes a budget, we don’t know when the SAT will be given to students,” Smetana said. “People think that it could still possibly be given this year, and other people think that it won’t be given until next year.”

There is some concern to switching the ACT with the SAT due to college admissions.

“I think it’s a big shift for the state to switch to the SAT since most midwest colleges take an ACT as their typical preferred test, but I think colleges will have to make a shift and accept the SAT.”

There is also a concern with ACT prep class criteria.

“We’ll have to look at CAP classes and decide whether or not do test prep for the ACT and the SAT. We’ll have to incorporate the SAT in some capacity,” Smetana said.

About the Writers
Gabrielle Tarrant, Staff Reporter

Future Clarion sponsor of the 2023/2024 school year, #watchoutHelgeson

Email me bro

@[email protected]

Vivian Marina Piña, Editor-in-Chief

Vivian Marina Piña started out as a farmboy on Tatooine. She grew up on a moisture farm with her Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen. Her life changed forever when her uncle purchased two droids that carried plans to the Imperial Death Star. When the droids ran away, she chased after them and got attacked by sand people (I don’t like sand. It’s coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere) but was saved by Ben Kenobi, who later revealed himself to be the legendary Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. Ben also revealed that he fought alongside Vivian’s father in the Clone Wars. Ben gave Vivian her father’s old lightsaber, and after grieving over the death of Vivian’s aunt and uncle, the two went to find a way to deliver the plans to the Rebel Alliance on the planet of Alderaan. Han Solo, captain of the Millennium Falcon, and Chewbacca agreed to take them to Alderaan. Along the way, Ben began training Vivian to become a Jedi, and taught her the ways of the Force. By the time the group arrived at Alderaan, it had been blown up by the Death Star. The Millennium Falcon was forced to land in the Death Star, but the group was able to escape and rescue Princess Leia. Unfortunately, Ben was killed by the Empire’s very own Sith Lord, Darth Vader. Vivian was able to give the plans to the Rebel Alliance and blow up the Death Star. Over the next three years, Vivian was hunted by Darth Vader. Vivian traveled to the Dagobah System to find Jedi Master Yoda and complete her Jedi training. Once the Sith Lord was able to find and battle Vivian, he revealed to her that he was her father after he cut her hand off. A year later, Vivian was forced to battle her father, who tried to turn her to the Dark Side of the Force. Vivian ended up refusing to fight her father, and the Emperor attacked her for refusing. Her father, however, was able to turn back to the Light Side of the Force and kill the Emperor. Peace was brought to the galaxy. Vivian has spent the last few years as a hermit, and people have been searching for pieces of a map to find her. However, you can reach her at [email protected].