Boys’ soccer kicking into the new season

by Carlee Battistoni

Boys soccer against Fenton

Carlee Battistoni, Staff Reporter

Do you have what it takes to practice for six days a week for two hours and go through conditioning in the summer? The Riverside Brookfield boy’s varsity soccer team does. Their record this year is 10-2-2.

This year, the Varsity soccer team has 25 players on the roster. Ivek Halic says, “This is my first year as Varsity Coach. I have been coaching at Riverside Brookfield for a number of years as the Boys Sophomore and Girls Junior Varsity coach.”

The leading scorers this season is between senior Nathan Juarez (3), senior Jack Jurgens (3), senior Dima Aieta (4), senior Luis Cardenas (2), and senior Ike Jebb (2). The only freshman on the team is Daniel Sessler. The captains listed on the team are Nathan Juarez, Matthew Pilewski, and Jacob Douglas.

Halic also said, “We do not have ‘star players’ on this team. Every player on the roster has the potential to change a game. I preach playing for the greater good of the team rather than individual self. This mentality has created a stronger bond between players that has contributed to our success so far this season. The leadership on the team is also very unique with 11 senior players, each fulfilling their roles as individual leaders. Our captains listed on the team are Nathan Juarez, Matthew Pilewski, and Jacob Douglas.”

Varsity soccer has a very competitive conference. Their biggest rivalry includes Glenbard South, Fenton, and Wheaton Academy.

“All of your conference opponents present challenges.” says Coach Halic.