Fitting in with fitness

Students exercising in the East Gym

Students exercising in the East Gym

Kassie Ramirez

Kassie Ramirez

Students exercising in the East Gym

Kassie Ramirez, Staff Reporter

A new gym class is being offered in Riverside Brookfield in the 2017-2018 school year. The class is called Group Fitness and will be run by Marisa Dobbertin, a Physical Education teacher at RB, in the spin cycle room.

Group fitness is all about high energy workouts and having fun.

“I want the students to feel like they have a gym membership, like they’re going to a fitness club… Mostly high energy, high impact type of classes.” said Marisa Dobbertin.

This class will consist of a variety of group activities. The class is very similar to the group workout days in Mind and Body, but in Group Fitness those days in Mind and Body are laid out to be taught in a course of a semester.

“It’s going include Zumba and dance fitness… Orangetheory, current trends in fitness, crossfit workouts, and boot camp workouts,” said Dobbertin.

Group Fitness is not advanced Mind and Body, it is a completely new class that does not have yoga or pilates.

“It’s not going to be the yoga and pilates because that’s a shift towards Mind and Body,” said Dobbertin. “[Group fitness is] more geared towards high energy, loud music, high interval workouts, so a huge wide variety.”

Dobbertin has been trying to get this class in the school schedule for about four years. She went through a lot of steps to finalize her idea and for the school board to accept her proposal and make the class actually run.

“I tried to propose this four years ago and it just never went all the way down the chain to being approved by the board,” said Dobbertin. “I retried again and made some changes to it but since then in my mind and body classes I was playing around with [group fitness day] and dance fitness was a huge interest… so I think the interest is there for that type of class.”

The class will be held in the spin cycle room next to the Wellness Center. All of the bikes will be pushed to the side so they can still be used if needed. Some mirrors will also be added to the room so the students can look at themselves and fix their form if needed.

About the Contributor
Kassie Ramirez, Staff Reporter

Kassie is sometimes a fun and helpful person… okay, just kidding, she is very rarely those things. She spends most of her day screaming at children about who-knows-what? and always has an odd face on. Kassie loves makeup and everyone involved with it… but you never see her with full makeup on at school. She claims, “It takes too long and takes away sleepy time.” Kassie constantly travels to New Zealand to stalk – I mean watch and help – Parris and the royal family. If you do not know who Royal Family is, Kassie does not like you. Kassie also travels the world to eat sushi. She really loves sushi. She is very determined to find the best sushi place in the world. Kassie is a sophomore at RB. This is her first year in Clarion and she’s very excited to be on the staff as a staff reporter. You can contact Kassie at [email protected] with any questions or concerns.