Some support, others marched: RB responds to Women’s March

Vivian Marina Piña, Public Relations Editor

The Women’s March on Washington took place on January 21, 2017, a day after Donald Trump’s inauguration as 45th President of the United States. People from around the country traveled to Washington D.C. to show their support for the march, including RBHS students.

“I was able to march to the White House, and it had such an historic feeling to it,” said junior Gabrielle Tarrant. “The most inspiring thing I got from the march was the motivation of the people there and witnessing how much people cared about equality. Seeing all these people… inspired me to be more optimistic about the future.”

People came by the busload to have their voices heard for women’s rights, along with many other issues protesters believe the new president will negatively impact.

“There was a lot of positive energy at the march, and it felt really good to be around people who had the same ideology. It raised awareness in light of the election, and it showed the amount of support that there was for minorities, even though some guy who doesn’t show this support was elected,” said junior Bailey Hastings.

Simultaneous to the Women’s March on Washington, corresponding protests were taking place worldwide. Marches and protests were held on every continent, including Antarctica.

“I loved that this took place in every single continent because it showed how many people are out there that will show love and support no matter who is controlling the country,” said junior Cassidy McLernon. “I support everyone, and I want them to know that they’re loved.”

For some, the protests were meaningful, but they did not necessarily agree with protesting Trump’s presidency.

“I think we should give Trump the chance to be president because we really don’t know what kind of president he will be,” said junior Lily Jerz. “Everyone deserves to have equal opportunities, and it’s up to the person to choose what to do with the opportunities.”

However, even though some believe Trump should be given a fair opportunity to lead the country, not everyone is willing to automatically support some of his most controversial comments.

“I really disagree with the unfair things Trump says about specific groups,” Jerz said. “Like I said before, people are people, and everyone deserves a fair chance.”

The messages voiced throughout the protests were able to inspire those supportive of the ideals marchers stood up for.

“One repeated sign sums up the marches pretty well: ‘I’m with her.’ During the campaign, that slogan took on a definite meaning; it supported a specific person, Hillary Clinton,” said senior Adam Nie. “Here though, arrows pointed out from the words in all directions. Everyone stood, marched, and made a commitment to each other. That’s the best hope we’ve got, as people.”