Some support, others marched: RB responds to Women’s March

Vivian Marina Piña, Public Relations Editor

Women's March in Washington D.C.

The Women’s March on Washington took place on January 21, 2017, a day after Donald Trump’s inauguration as 45th President of the United States. People from around the country traveled to Washington D.C. to show their support for the march, including RBHS students.

“I was able to march to the White House, and it had such an historic feeling to it,” said junior Gabrielle Tarrant. “The most inspiring thing I got from the march was the motivation of the people there and witnessing how much people cared about equality. Seeing all these people… inspired me to be more optimistic about the future.”

People came by the busload to have their voices heard for women’s rights, along with many other issues protesters believe the new president will negatively impact.

“There was a lot of positive energy at the march, and it felt really good to be around people who had the same ideology. It raised awareness in light of the election, and it showed the amount of support that there was for minorities, even though some guy who doesn’t show this support was elected,” said junior Bailey Hastings.

Simultaneous to the Women’s March on Washington, corresponding protests were taking place worldwide. Marches and protests were held on every continent, including Antarctica.

“I loved that this took place in every single continent because it showed how many people are out there that will show love and support no matter who is controlling the country,” said junior Cassidy McLernon. “I support everyone, and I want them to know that they’re loved.”

For some, the protests were meaningful, but they did not necessarily agree with protesting Trump’s presidency.

“I think we should give Trump the chance to be president because we really don’t know what kind of president he will be,” said junior Lily Jerz. “Everyone deserves to have equal opportunities, and it’s up to the person to choose what to do with the opportunities.”

However, even though some believe Trump should be given a fair opportunity to lead the country, not everyone is willing to automatically support some of his most controversial comments.

“I really disagree with the unfair things Trump says about specific groups,” Jerz said. “Like I said before, people are people, and everyone deserves a fair chance.”

The messages voiced throughout the protests were able to inspire those supportive of the ideals marchers stood up for.

“One repeated sign sums up the marches pretty well: ‘I’m with her.’ During the campaign, that slogan took on a definite meaning; it supported a specific person, Hillary Clinton,” said senior Adam Nie. “Here though, arrows pointed out from the words in all directions. Everyone stood, marched, and made a commitment to each other. That’s the best hope we’ve got, as people.”

Vivian Marina Piña, Editor-in-Chief

Vivian Marina Piña started out as a farmboy on Tatooine. She grew up on a moisture farm with her Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen. Her life changed forever when her uncle purchased two droids that carried plans to the Imperial Death Star. When the droids ran away, she chased after them and got attacked by sand people (I don’t like sand. It’s coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere) but was saved by Ben Kenobi, who later revealed himself to be the legendary Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. Ben also revealed that he fought alongside Vivian’s father in the Clone Wars. Ben gave Vivian her father’s old lightsaber, and after grieving over the death of Vivian’s aunt and uncle, the two went to find a way to deliver the plans to the Rebel Alliance on the planet of Alderaan. Han Solo, captain of the Millennium Falcon, and Chewbacca agreed to take them to Alderaan. Along the way, Ben began training Vivian to become a Jedi, and taught her the ways of the Force. By the time the group arrived at Alderaan, it had been blown up by the Death Star. The Millennium Falcon was forced to land in the Death Star, but the group was able to escape and rescue Princess Leia. Unfortunately, Ben was killed by the Empire’s very own Sith Lord, Darth Vader. Vivian was able to give the plans to the Rebel Alliance and blow up the Death Star. Over the next three years, Vivian was hunted by Darth Vader. Vivian traveled to the Dagobah System to find Jedi Master Yoda and complete her Jedi training. Once the Sith Lord was able to find and battle Vivian, he revealed to her that he was her father after he cut her hand off. A year later, Vivian was forced to battle her father, who tried to turn her to the Dark Side of the Force. Vivian ended up refusing to fight her father, and the Emperor attacked her for refusing. Her father, however, was able to turn back to the Light Side of the Force and kill the Emperor. Peace was brought to the galaxy. Vivian has spent the last few years as a hermit, and people have been searching for pieces of a map to find her. However, you can reach her at [email protected].

Gabrielle Tarrant, Staff Reporter

Future Clarion sponsor of the 2023/2024 school year, #watchoutHelgeson

Email me bro

@[email protected]

Madison Heninger, Staff Reporter

Madi ‘shark boy’ Heninger may seem to be a normal sophomore at RBHS, but she is quite the contrary. She is actually a ghost who spends her time reading, painting, and writing for the Clarion. The thing Madi loves the most are her two pet great white sharks, Squishy and Michael. Madi was on Clarion staff last year and she decided to stick around because she wants to prove that even ghosts can be journalists. Her nightly routine involves covering herself in glitter and reading old Clarion articles or emailing memes to Mr. Helgeson. If you ever need to contact her, you can reach Madi at [email protected]