Cheer and swim celebrate winter wins

Briyana Gil

The cheer team poses

Kenton Baer, Staff Reporter

As winter goes on, so does RBHS winter sports. Riverside Brookfield’s boys swimming team and competitive cheer team have been in full swing for some time now. RBHS’s boys swim team placed first at the Main East swim invite, and the competitive cheer team placed third place in conference.

The boys swim team has had a more than successful season. The swimmers have a 4-1 record, and they placed first in the Main East invite.

RBHS also has a diving team, they placed first in the Riverside Brookfield invitational diving meet. The captains of the team are Joey Rosa and Michael Georgopulos. They were a great help to the diving teams’ victory.

“Joey and Michael are great captains, they really give the team good instruction and leadership,” said junior Charlie Robling.

The Riverside Brookfield competitive cheer team has had a productive competition season so far. They have won one competition and placed well in the other ones. They also placed third in conference.

“I think we have a real shot at sectionals,” said freshman Sophie Diforti.

The team has had an optimistic season so far, led by captains of the team Maddie Hopek and Hunter Soumar. They feel as if they all work really well together. One of their strong suits is there tumbling. The main goal is to finish top four at sectionals.

“If we do well at sectionals, I feel like we might be able to make state,” said Diforti.