Wrestling team finishes season, bound for Sectionals

Daisy Tinerella

An RB wrestler in a match

Daisy Tinerella, Staff Reporter

The Riverside Brookfield Wrestling team are on the road to Sectionals. Head Coach Nicholas Curby had great things to say about the season.

According to Curby, the team’s record is 21 to 6 with one of their best meets being at Fenton High School.

“A lot of this year just has been working on fine tuning techniques, getting our conditioning to where we want it to be, and focusing on what our goals are for the season. The guys have consistently been getting better and accomplishing goals, making sure there’s improvement,’’ said Curby.

Wrestling is a very mentally draining sport. Wrestling not only physically trains you, but mentally trains you as well.

“Your body can achieve what your mind can conceive,” said Curby. “A big part of wrestling is getting the kids to believe that they can go further than what they are capable of doing.”

The team is an honorable team ranked in state as they are flirting with being in the top 25. With that, they have gone through some very tough tournaments facing other top teams in the state.

“Those tournaments are for those guys that are getting ready for the post-season and making a run through the regional and sectionals to get as many guys on the podium as we can,” said Curby.

The wrestlers attending sectionals are Kris Gallardo: 113 lbs, Josh Contreras: 120 lbs, Joey Giurini: 126 lbs, Julian Blanco: 145 lbs, Demar Pearce: 152 lbs, Joey Swallow: 160 lbs, Riley Shaw: 182 lbs, and Chris Colvin: 220 lbs.