Wrestling team takes on state

Senior Chris Colvin taking first place on podium

Courtesy of @rbhs_wrestling

Courtesy of @rbhs_wrestling

Sydney Sandrick, Staff Reporter

The Riverside Brookfield Wrestling team had five qualifiers who were recently sent off to state. On February 24 Joey Swallow: 160 lbs, Josh Contreras: 120 lbs, Joey Giurini: 126 lbs, Chris Colvin: 220 lbs, and Julian Blanco: 145 lbs went off to state.

According to senior Josh Contreras he did not end with the results he wanted.

“I started off slow at state, I didn’t wrestle my best the first day but as the days went on I got moving more and more and wrestled well,” said senior Josh Contreras.

This was Contreras second time attending the state competition. Contreras competed at state his sophomore year in high school. Contreras plans wrestling career at either the University of Illinois or Eastern Michigan University.

At the sectional competition there were twelve competitors from four different regions senior Joey Swallow stated that making it to state was his toughest accomplishment. Swallow had made it through his first round his first year at state. He is also is planning on wrestling in college but does not know where yet.

“Making it through as many guys as their were at sectionals was the hardest part about getting to state,” said Swallow.

Senior Julian Blanco had done well at state and is happy to have attended. This was Blanco’s second time competing at state. He also competed at his sophomore year at state.

“Making weight and having to cut down on food to make weight for matches was pretty challenging,” said Blanco.

Senior Chris Colvin won one match while competing at state. This was Colvin’s first year going to state and was excited about being able to be with his friends and compete for his first time at state.

“I had struggled with my sectional finals match which was the toughest part to get to state,” said Colvin.

Sydney Sandrick, Staff Reporter

Sydney Sandrick is a sophomore at RBHS, and she is starting Clarion this year. On weekdays, Sydney is an everyday student, but after 3pm she goes to work at Dunder Mifflin Paper Company. Sydney was inspired to join Clarion by working in Scranton, Pennsylvania, at the office with Dwight Schrute, Michael Scott, and Jim Halpert. Most times, Sydney has fun in the office, but other times it can be stressful. Sydney and her co-workers get along very well. Her best friend is Michael Scott. Sydney listens to Michael Scott’s corny jokes everyday and is forced to listen to Dwight and Jim roasting and pulling pranks on each other. After a long stressful day at work Sydney likes to play soccer at RB and to hang out with friends and family. If you need to contact her, use this email: [email protected].