Battle of the fundraisers

At the beginning of every season, RBHS fundraisers join in on the daily routine. Sports, clubs, and occasionally some classes take part in fundraising. This way of raising money is commonly essential for the running of extracurricular activities and needs, including materials, trips, and parties.

Fundraisers are most familiarly used for sports, raising money for necessary gear and team uniforms. Some sports also fundraise for merchandise wear.

“To cover the cost of the materials [students] get to keep, without a budget, they would have to fundraise for it,” said head varsity softball coach Doug Schultz. “Anything they fundraised for comes back to them as materials, they get to keep.”

This spring, girls water polo players raised funds for the team and for sport spirit wear. With a strict one week deadline to try and sell 25 products, students worked hard to support the team.

“It’s fun, buts it’s kind of stressful. Going out and selling stuff can make it exciting, but it’s stressful because we had a requirement and I didn’t think I could sell [that many], but it was pretty easy,” said Lynna Leimbeer, a freshman water polo player.

Girls softball players also competed to fundraise for wear, as the school paid for team balls and uniform hooded sweaters for outdoor games. These girls sold cookie dough to friends and family and learned how to communicate and promote their products.

“People will say no, and you’ll just have to keep moving forward. I went down a whole block of people who refused me and I almost lost motivation to do it, but I kept going and I sold about 77 boxes,” said sophomore softball player Bridger Maher. “I had fun [fundraising] and everything, but I really had to step out of a comfort zone, It’s really not something you would do for fun. I think it’s more of something to just get done.”

When students go house to house trying to sell products, often times several sports hit a single house in one season. Sometimes, houses that are hit by house to house fundraisers are homes of fundraising athletes themselves.

“Several students from several sports have come knocking at our door, sometimes even from the same team. So, usually I buy the first time from someone when they come, but don’t buy again if they are from the same sport,” said Rebecca Harazin, a RB water polo parent. “Sometimes I will support more than one team at the same time, especially if I know them.”

RB clubs also utilize fundraisers to raise money for materials, trips, and donations to communal organizations.

FCCLA is a club here at RB that focuses on family, career and community leaders of America, This group sold fresh Dunkin Donuts and Dunkin Donuts Munchkins during all lunches March 13 to 17, raising funds for supplies to go to the state competition this April.

Grace Lee, assistant sponsor of FCCLA, organized her first fundraiser. While having the highest hopes for her club, her group had fun in the process.

“We had a good time fundraising during lunch. We had the pleasure of serving fresh donuts to students in the cafeteria,” said Lee.

“Being that this was my first time, I didn’t have much expectations. I definitely was hoping to learn from the first time and make it better the next time we fundraised,” said Lee. “We asked many people: administration, teachers and students for ideas [on what to sell]. Krispy Kreme was very popular. So we decided to get fresh Dunkin Donuts instead.”

In competition with the countless RB fundraisers, Hollywood Elementary School girl scouts sold the famous girl scout cookies. Part of the funds raised were donated to the community while the other part was given to the girl scout troop itself.

“Our first cookie booth was the most fun. We were on the corner by the train tracks and there were people coming by. Part of our group went on the corner and they were yelling, trying to sell cookies,” said Lorelli Leimbeer, a fifth grade girl scout of Hollywood School.

About the Writers
Nicolette O'Keefe, Staff Reporter

Yep, she may look normal. But deep down inside – way deep down – she’s just weird. That is why she is now retiring from being a volunteer stunt double for Norman Reedus in Season 7 of AMC’s “The Walking Dead,” after a serious injury during a cliff diving stunt onto a rock. It looked pretty real, because it was real, for effect. Currently, she is still recovering from one wound: decapitation from her own arm as she dabbed on the way down the cliff. Now, as sophomore at RBHS, she has randomly decided to join the Clarion. Pretty cool… Surprisingly, she does have a source of income: professionally dealing VIP tickets for Streetlight Manifesto. Those that do not know this band… for shame, for they have not had a life yet. Those who have, congrats! Instant friends. In conclusion, join Clarion. It’s great. This is her first year in any school newspaper and… that is Nicky. One last thing: her favorite app is the weather app.

If you want to, contact her at [email protected]. Just be warned…

Chynna Simon, Staff Reporter

Chynna Simon is very social if you seem worthy. If you get to know her, she can be very funny and enthusiastic. She acts weird around her friends, which includes being loud and making bad puns. She stands up for everyone. She is a feminist who believes in equal rights. Chynna is a big nerd. She plays Pokemon. She may not be any good, but she plays video games on her PlayStation 4. She’s not your average “Gamer Girl.”

She is a sophomore and went to RB for her freshman year as well. Before RB, she moved from Oak Forest and did not know anyone here. Chynna had to start from scratch and make new friends. She broke out of her shell, she became more social and open to everyone, and she always accepted new friends. You can contact her at [email protected].