RB predicts: The World Series

Bridget Maher, Staff Reporter

After the Chicago Cubs’ unfortunate loss against the Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago concludes their 2017 season. But that does not stop baseball fans from immersing themselves in this iconic national event. Riverside Brookfield High School is home to a variety of different major league baseball fans who keep up with the World Series whether or not their team is competing.

The playoffs started with the wild card games that had put two teams against each other in a battle to clinch a spot in the World Series playoffs. Out of the wildcard, the New York Yankees and the Arizona Diamondbacks emerged victorious. They went on to face the Cleveland Indians and the Los Angeles Dodgers, who had previously clinched the pennant for their regions.

Out of that, the Diamondbacks were eliminated after facing the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Indians were eliminated soon after after facing the New York Yankees.

The Dodgers clinched their spot in the final round Thursday night by winning 11-1 against the Chicago Cubs. They had won their first three games against Chicago and had hopes to sweep, but the Cubs came back Tuesday night with a 3-2 win.

Meanwhile in the American League, the Astros had lead the series 2-0. The Yankees came back tied 3-3 in the series. But the Astros came back from a two game slump, and they clinched their spot in the final round with a shutout 4-0 win against the Yankees.

“I want the Astros to win, but I think it’s gonna be close between who’s actually going to win,” says Junior Maggie Greenlees. “It’s a competition between the two best teams in baseball.”

Students are in favor of the Astros after the Dodgers won the series against the Cubs. Dodgers fans beg to differ. With the Dodgers rising-star rookie, Cody Bellinger, and their renown all star pitcher, Clayton Kershaw, Dodger fans have the utmost faith in their team. Both the Astros and the Dodgers have done phenomenal, both winning over 100 games during the regular season and winning their divisions.

“I want the Astros to win because I’m not a fan of the Dodgers, plus they played really well following the championship,” says junior Jenna Quinn.

The final round commenced on October 24 at 7:08 pm, starting at the Astros home field Minute Maid Park. The Astros will be starting pitchers Dallas Keuchel, while the Dodgers will be starting Clayton Kershaw.

The Astros are currently up 3-2 in the series. On the Dodgers side of things, it could mean a second chance. But for the Astros, a win tonight could be a World Series win for Houston.