Boys basketball coaching staff undergoes changes

Boys practice during open gyms.

Boys practice during open gyms.

Szymon Stoklosa

Szymon Stoklosa

Boys practice during open gyms.

All boys basketball tryouts are on November 6. Freshmen will tryout at 3:30 in the Main Gym, and sophomores will tryout at 3:30 in the East Gym. Varsity will tryout at 5:30 in the Main Gym. The teams will be determined the following day.

Many changes to the coaching staff have been made for the upcoming Riverside-Brookfield boys basketball season, including new additions and rearrangements. 

The most notable of these changes is the movement of former head sophomore coach Mike Reingruber to head Varsity coach, following Tom McCloskey’s retirement. Last year’s assistant Varsity coach, Daniel Herbeck, will now be the head freshmen coach. Finally, last year’s freshmen coaches, Brian Kusnierz and David Aldape, return as this year’s sophomore coaches.

“I am very excited about coaching this group again. They are very coachable, work very hard, and continue to get better at competing on a daily basis,” said Kusnierz.

Other changes include the addition of Kevin Turk, who was a sophomore assistant coach from 2005-2009. He will now be the assistant freshman coach to Herbeck. Phil McGovern and Anthony Roberts are new assistant Varsity coaches.

With more than sixty years of coaching experience between them, they all embrace their new roles.

I felt I needed a change after serving in the same role for the last 17 years. I wanted to coach my own level and concentrate on teaching the kids and getting them to play hard,” said Herbeck.

Last year’s sophomore and freshmen teams posted dominant records, while Varsity left something to be desired. However, this year looks to be different.

Our current seniors gained a lot of valuable experience last year as juniors, as they were thrust into roles they weren’t necessarily expecting or ready for based on some of the things that happened with the upperclassmen last year,” said Reingruber.

Every returning player has also worked hard during the offseason to improve.

“The basketball program has made a significant investment in the weight room since the end of last season. We had summer camp. We also played in a summer league and fall league playing against some of the best programs in the state,” said Reingruber.

Either way, the coaches and players look to learn and grow together.

“As a former RB player and now coaching at RB the past 20 years, I have had the ability to help grow our program with Coach McCloskey and the rest of the coaching staff. I have a tremendous amount of pride in RB and want to help carry on the great tradition of RB Basketball for years to come,” said Reingruber.

Rahim Kouferidji, Sports Editor

Rahim “The Dream” Kouferidji is entering his second year in Clarion. He is now a Sports Editor, so everyone must now bow down to him. You can reach your leader at [email protected].

Dylan Drews, Staff Reporter

Drafted by the Chicago Bears in the second round of the NFL draft, I looked to make an immediate impact. I’m the fastest player that this team will ever see. I played for the Bears for eight years. I am still the only player ever to return the opening kickoff of the Super Bowl for a touchdown. Unfortunately, after eight great years of my life, some ex- CFL coach named Marc Trestman came in to take over for coach Lovie Smith and got rid of me. I looked around for a while and got an offer from the Atlanta Falcons. While playing for the Falcons, I broke the record for most return touchdowns of all time. Unfortunately, half way through the next season I was cut by the Falcons. I was then picked up by the Seattle Seahawks. I had some really good returns but we ended up losing in the playoffs. After that season, the Seahawks released me and I am now a free agent.

Szymon Stoklosa, Staff Reporter

Wuz poppin

You can contact ya boi Szymon Stoklosa at [email protected]