RBEF provides foundation for student and staff learning

RBHS telethon. Photo courtesy of RBEF website.

Kellie Halvey, Staff Reporter

The Riverside Brookfield Educational Foundation, is dedicated to supporting students and teachers. Through helping students and teachers by offering grants they are able to experience opportunities that would not be available otherwise.

“It was created back in 1989, the mission was to raise funds for faculty, staff, and students, if they want to do any kind of professional development or enrichment that wouldn’t’ve been available to them if they didn’t have access to those funds,” said James Franko, president of the RBEF.

Funds for the RBEF are raised with events such as the telethon and a November holiday fundraiser. These funds contribute to the Educational Foundation, along with many different scholarships.

“You’re pretty much guaranteed to get something as long as your program fits in the guidelines… we divide whatever we have to the number of people who applied. We also run a couple scholarships, and that money is separate from the telethon money and can’t be crossed over,” said Franko.

Many teachers and students have utilized the RBEF to further themselves, and take advantage of amazing opportunities that otherwise would not have been possible. Wendy Cassens, a teacher at Riverside Brookfield, is someone who received a grant from the RBEF.

“I wanted to go to A.P Summer Institutes for english literature… it’s about $700 and we didn’t have any more professional development money for the school, so I reached out to RBEF to see if they could help me pay for it,” said Cassens.

During the A.P Summer Institute, participants go through setting up a classroom and learning new ways to communicate with students.

“[The most memorable part was] Learning new books I hadn’t considered using, and meeting new teachers and having another network to ask questions and help each other developing curriculum for A.P Lit,” said Cassens.

Students also benefit from the RBEF. Student Teresa Godinez also received a grant to go to the National Hispanic Institute.

“It was a debate program, where you learned leadership skills and how to become successful in a career you want, and also to become a community leader,” said Godinez.

Godinez heard about this event from her mom and a counselor at RB, her application last spring was easy after getting a recommendation from a teacher. Godinez got second place at the National Hispanic Institute.

Kellie Halvey, Staff Reporter

Kellie Halvey is a very busy person, she has lots to do in her life inside and outside of school. Although she is very busy she still enjoys the simple things in life, like food. One of her favorite foods is potatoes. She loves how versatile they are the many different ways they can be made, such as mashed, baked, roasted, and cheesy potatoes. Along with french fries, hash browns, potato chips, potato pancakes, and au gratin potatoes. Another one of Kellie’s favorite foods is ice cream, however even more than ice cream, but in the same category, Kellie loves sherbets and sorbets. She enjoys how refreshing and cold they can be and the way the bright colors make them look so delicious. Yet another one of Kellie’s favorite foods is pancakes. She enjoys making them in the mornings and adding chocolate chips and m&m’s in them. Sometimes she will make them in fun shapes like mickey mouse pancakes or hearts. Also, Kellie loves her dog and will often make her dog a pancake with bacon treats mixed in instead of chocolate. One of Kellie’s final favorite foods is pineapple. Kellie loves how pineapple can taste so fresh and juicy when they are ready to be eaten, mixed in with other fruits, grilled with some brown sugar, or freshly eaten, Kellie is a big fan of pineapple. If you have any other ways to make potatoes or pineapple, any flavors of ice cream, sherbet, or sorbet Kellie should try, or any shapes for Kellie to make her pancakes in, feel free to contact her at [email protected]

1 Comment

One Response to “RBEF provides foundation for student and staff learning”

1. Jim Franko on April 26th, 2018 9:13 am

Kellie, thank you for the nice article about the RBEF. We hope as many students as possible take advantage of the grants. Go to rbef.tv to fill out the application. It’s due this Monday, April 30. Get in touch with me if you have any questions.

Mr Franko

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)