Siblings through and through the generations

Portraits+of+my+siblings.+Daniel%27s+senior+portrait+from+2007%2C+Evangeline%27s+senior+portrait+from+2015%2C+my+senior+portrait+from+2018%2C+and+Angelo%27s+elementary+school+picture.+
Portraits of my siblings. Daniel's senior portrait from 2007, Evangeline's senior portrait from 2015, my senior portrait from 2018, and Angelo's elementary school picture.

Vivian Marina Piña, Editor-in-Chief

Throughout different stages of life, a person experiences different fears, happiness, struggles, and accomplishments. These hopes and distresses can also change depending on the generation a person was born into, and the different social and technological experiences they have witnessed.

I took a personal approach on this topic by exploring the lives of my siblings. Before I continue,  I need to explain why my siblings are the perfect candidates for this subject.

Daniel, the eldest sibling, was born in 1988. He was an only child until my sister Evangeline was born in 1997 (already at a good nine-year difference). In 1999 I was born, having an 11 year-old brother and a two year-old sister. Life went on, and by the time I was ten, I got another brother, Angelo, born in 2010. Daniel was 21 when Angelo was born, and Evangeline was 13.

And yes, we all have the same mother and same father from one marriage.

Daniel graduated RBHS in 2007, Evangeline in 2015, and I will graduate this May, while my mom anxiously awaits the day Angelo finishes high school in 2028.

Currently, Daniel is 29 and living life as an adult. Evangeline is 20 and is in her third year of college; I’m 18 and about to finish high school, and Angelo is eight and in the second grade.

Now I know there are more drastic generation gaps impacting society today, but one should take this as a more lighthearted view of siblings experiencing the modern world at their current stages of life.

A major struggle all of us have is time management.

“The most challenging part of my life is balancing school, work, homework, and commuting without burning out,” said Evangeline.

Staying alert through long days is tough, but mornings are rough for us as well; for Angelo, that’s what he sees as the most challenging part of his life.

“Waking up and not getting tired is hard,” said Angelo.

However, the struggles of life can be overcome in time.

“Life will always come with its obstacles no matter how well you think you might be prepared,” said Daniel. “You won’t always make popular decisions, and you won’t always make the right decisions, but it’s through trial and error we become who we want to be. As a former mentor used to tell me, ‘You gotta want it!’”

We can all recognize and  enjoy the peaceful moments in life.

“I’m fortunate enough to live without worries,” said Daniel. “I’m comfortable and in a great place in my life.”  

And the simple joys in life make the days worthwhile.

“Getting to play iPad for two hours every day and doing math at school is the best part of my day,” said Angelo.

We all have big plans for our future and are excited for the road ahead.

“As cliche as it is, I’m looking forwards to buying a home and starting my own pack,” said Daniel. “You can be against it all you want or say you’re different, but at the end of the day it’s what you’ll want to do in your own way.”

However, we still have concerns for the future.

“I worried about not being able to walk that good when I’m an old man and the ocean all polluted,” said Angelo.

People who lived before us did not experience the same advancements in society we have. They come with benefits and disadvantages.

“The availability of everything is much better nowadays. You can get anything you need or want almost instantly, along with finding information quickly,” said Evangeline. “However, there’s a lot of tolls on the environment and other people from it. Society’s becoming tech-centered almost too quickly.”

These pros and cons are also apparent to youth.

“There’s more video games, high graphic video games, and YouTube now, but there’s lots of cars, paper, and trash polluting the ocean,” said Angelo.

At the end of the day, we all just look for peace in our lives.

For Angelo, peace is “when you just relax and sit down.” For Evangeline, peace is “a cup of tea, a sleeping dog on my lap, and napping without worry.” And for Daniel, peace is “Having to do NOTHING.”

Reflecting on the answers of my siblings, I have viewed the conflict between generation gaps in a new light. At the end of the day, all of us want the same things, fear the same things, and find comfort in the same things. Though my siblings and I are spread across different generations, our characteristics we share tie us all together.

Vivian Marina Piña, Editor-in-Chief

Vivian Marina Piña started out as a farmboy on Tatooine. She grew up on a moisture farm with her Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen. Her life changed forever when her uncle purchased two droids that carried plans to the Imperial Death Star. When the droids ran away, she chased after them and got attacked by sand people (I don’t like sand. It’s coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere) but was saved by Ben Kenobi, who later revealed himself to be the legendary Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. Ben also revealed that he fought alongside Vivian’s father in the Clone Wars. Ben gave Vivian her father’s old lightsaber, and after grieving over the death of Vivian’s aunt and uncle, the two went to find a way to deliver the plans to the Rebel Alliance on the planet of Alderaan. Han Solo, captain of the Millennium Falcon, and Chewbacca agreed to take them to Alderaan. Along the way, Ben began training Vivian to become a Jedi, and taught her the ways of the Force. By the time the group arrived at Alderaan, it had been blown up by the Death Star. The Millennium Falcon was forced to land in the Death Star, but the group was able to escape and rescue Princess Leia. Unfortunately, Ben was killed by the Empire’s very own Sith Lord, Darth Vader. Vivian was able to give the plans to the Rebel Alliance and blow up the Death Star. Over the next three years, Vivian was hunted by Darth Vader. Vivian traveled to the Dagobah System to find Jedi Master Yoda and complete her Jedi training. Once the Sith Lord was able to find and battle Vivian, he revealed to her that he was her father after he cut her hand off. A year later, Vivian was forced to battle her father, who tried to turn her to the Dark Side of the Force. Vivian ended up refusing to fight her father, and the Emperor attacked her for refusing. Her father, however, was able to turn back to the Light Side of the Force and kill the Emperor. Peace was brought to the galaxy. Vivian has spent the last few years as a hermit, and people have been searching for pieces of a map to find her. However, you can reach her at [email protected].