RB baseball swings into successful season

John Kosner prepares to swing.

John Kosner prepares to swing.

Tim Buckley

Tim Buckley

John Kosner prepares to swing.

Kenton Baer, Staff Reporter

The Riverside Brookfield baseball team started their season with a bang when second baseman John Kosner hit a walk-off double to snag the teams first win against Leyden. Kosner is more than enthusiastic about his last high school season, considering he will not be continuing his athletic career into college.

“We have a 23 man roster, and I think the team really gels together. I think our dugout could really intimidate other teams with all our guys,” said Kosner.

Kosner has been playing baseball his whole life, and has played on varsity since his sophomore year.

Michael Schicker is a sophomore, and has been playing on the varsity team since his freshman year. His main goal for the season is to win a regional championship, and defeat the team’s primary opponent, Aurora Catholic Central.  Since Schicker has been playing with older guys for about a year now, he has adapted to playing with upperclassman.

“I enjoy playing with the older guys, it makes me better and it’s good practice for the summer, when I play with my travel team. I love my high school team though, I think we can really do something big this season,” said Schicker.

Junior Ryan Cermack will be attending Illinois State University in the fall of 2019. Cermack has been pitching for the bulldogs since his freshman year, and is a major threat to opposing batters. Ryan came in contact with ISU after his fall baseball coach helped him reached out to the college about an athletic future.

“After playing with the Illinois Sparks for a while, I had developed a great relationship with my coach. He really helped me with the whole process of finding a place to play baseball after high school. Next thing I knew I was making a college visit to Illinois State, and I loved it. Baseball will always hold a place in my heart, I love everything from hitting, to pitching, to fielding,” said Cermack.

Head Coach Dallas Till was disappointed with the beginning of the season after a 2-2 start, but is now more optimistic after the team’s 12-2 run to grab a satisfying record of 14-4. Till’s main goals for the season consists of winning 20 games, a conference championship, and a regional championship.

The start of the season was slightly disappointing, but as the games went on we started to come together. We’ve got a tight-knit group of kids, and I think everyone accepts their role and everyone enjoys playing together,” said Till.

Dallas Till has been coaching baseball for 15 years, and has been coaching RB’s varsity baseball team for six years now.

Kenton Baer, Staff Reporter

Kenton is a freshman at RBHS and is a proud young Bulldog who carries Nutella by day, and loves to play lacrosse by night. He also has a deep hatred for Dylan Drews, which is fine. He plays tennis and was voted best lacrosse player in the world. Baer drops his love for tennis to play lacrosse in Jamaica. Unfortunately, he broke all his body parts in an accident that should’ve most definitely killed him, but he survived due to his love and passion for tennis. Baer returned home to play  badminton, and then died mid-badminton game, at the age of 12. He was revived two years later, at the age of 14. Also, he knew Harambe personally, was Bantu’s best friend and slogan  supervisor.  You can reach him at [email protected].

Tim Buckley, Staff Reporter

Tim Buckley, a senior, is very excited for the year ahead. This is the first time in his 17 year life experience when he finally leaves his personal landfill that they call “Tim’s Room”. While he spends so much time in his room that it now has its own postal code, you may find Tim on the RB Football Field, baking the in constant heat. Or you can hear him complaining about why there isn’t any snow in September, and why it has to be 90 degrees during a game. Tim’s long term goal for the future is to become the first teacher at RB to teach AP Underwater Basket Weaving, as well as his pride and joy, AP Existential Crisis. Tim is a first year reporter for the Clarion and is excited for the year! If you must contact me in anyway, email me at [email protected]

1 Comment

One Response to “RB baseball swings into successful season”

1. Donna Conaton on April 30th, 2018 10:37 am

Great story. Great writing. Go bulldogs!

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 5.0/5 (1 vote cast)