New crosswalk on Golf promotes safety

RB+Students+using+new+crosswalk.+
RB Students using new crosswalk.

RB Students using new crosswalk.

Captured by Lexi Soto

Captured by Lexi Soto

RB Students using new crosswalk.

Gavin Scheidler, Nathan Galas, and Kassie Ramirez

There is a new crosswalk in RBHS that differs from all others surrounding the school. It is located near Door A, near the football field and zoo entrance. Since the new crosswalk appeared so suddenly, some students and faculty wondered how it came about.

“It was a grant that was funded through the Riverside function. It was about 13,000 dollars,” said Dave Mannon, the assistant principal of student resources.

The grant was applied through both municipalities of Brookfield and Riverside police departments. The position of the new sign was based on multiple factors.

“We increased our parking last year by fifty or so spots. We have more students parking in the zoo lot now, so the amount of students crossing there is significant,” said Mannon.

The lights make drivers understand how pertinent it is that they stop. In addition to my class with the crosswalks, the new paint, which is more reflective, and flashing lights make the area safer.

“Last year we put down this thermal paste crosswalk paint that’ll last for three years. It’s highly reflective,” said Mannon.

The crosswalk came with solar panels and make the crosswalk free to power.

One intersection can cost almost $600 per year in electricity  and the solar arrays come with a warranty for some 25 or 30 years according to Cleantechnica.com and c40.org

“It’s very earth friendly,” Scheidler said.

Students agree with the new placement of the crosswalk sign.

“I think it was a good idea to keep students safe,” said sophomore Gavin Ference.

“It makes me feel safer” said junior Lydia Scheidle.

About the Writers
Kassie Ramirez, Staff Reporter

Kassie is sometimes a fun and helpful person… okay, just kidding, she is very rarely those things. She spends most of her day screaming at children about who-knows-what? and always has an odd face on. Kassie loves makeup and everyone involved with it… but you never see her with full makeup on at school. She claims, “It takes too long and takes away sleepy time.” Kassie constantly travels to New Zealand to stalk – I mean watch and help – Parris and the royal family. If you do not know who Royal Family is, Kassie does not like you. Kassie also travels the world to eat sushi. She really loves sushi. She is very determined to find the best sushi place in the world. Kassie is a sophomore at RB. This is her first year in Clarion and she’s very excited to be on the staff as a staff reporter. You can contact Kassie at [email protected] with any questions or concerns.