Boys basketball wins regional semifinal and progresses to regional final tonight

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bulldogs playing a regular season game

Bulldogs playing a regular season game

Lexi Soto

Bulldogs playing a regular season game

Lexi Soto

Lexi Soto

Bulldogs playing a regular season game

Gabe Herrera, Staff Reporter

As the basketball season winds down, the Varsity boys can look back on their historic season with pride, finishing 26-4. Led by a strong starting line-up comprising of Zach Vaia, Charles Terry, Reggie Loury, Patrick Hanely and Roosevelt University commit, Andrew Veon. 

“We are now in a do or die situation, win or go home,” expressed Charles Terry.

This feeling is one that reflects the attitude around the locker room. The players know that all their years playing in the program together will end soon, and it is all about playing to the best of their ability and making sure they stay together for as long as they can, and go as far as they can.

To accomplish this they must focus on the formula that has brought them this far.

“We should just remember to continue with our ball distribution, and getting our shooters open,” said senior point guard Zach Vaia.

Ryan Cermak followed this up by saying: “We do need to focus on continuing with our playing style, but we should also remember to stay mentally strong,” knowing that at this stage, every possession will matter.

Their quest for the second sectional title in the past 4 four years began against Morton West, a team they dispatched during the regular season. This time around winning 59-52. After a hotly contested first three quarters, the bulldogs finally broke away by the way of Veon fighting for four points in the paint, and a clutch three by Zach Vaia.

They are now to face up against 4th seed, Lincoln Park. This is where the Bulldogs will have to truly rely on each other, and trust their individual talent. Led by Coach Mike Reingruber, the team will play at Morton East High School tonight at 7. 

About the Photographer
Lexi Soto, Staff Reporter

Lexi Soto loves to skydive, fight off ninjas, and she enjoys taxidermy. In her spare time she volunteers at Seattle Grace Hospital, with her friends McDreamy...