The student perspective

Students enjoying a day after school.

Students enjoying a day after school.

Julian Zamora, Staff Reporter

Being a student at RBHS can at times be strenuous, debilitating, or downright crappy at times. But it doesn’t stop people having their own opinions or values on various points in life. As I was walking to get my interview, I walked with my friend, Rino Hachimura, an exchange student from Japan. As we walked she explained the differences between the Japanese education system and how schools run in Japan compared to American schools. She also explained how people in Japan are work induced and they overexert themselves too much. It was interesting to hear her discuss the difference between Japan and America as well as the negative aspects of each country.  

As we approach the bright sun and the fresh air outside, there was a cool rush of air as we went walking further. I noticed a group of students at the football field and the warmth of the bright sun. As we walked there Rino pointed out the student, Irvin Valdes, who looked at us a bit confused then realized he was about to be interviewed. We were surrounded by many other student voices with so many conversations going on but I was ready for Valdes to talk on his behalf.

“I like how there is a lot more freedom and diversity than fifty years ago. There are a lot of different people everyday like Rino, an exchange student that I became really good friends with and Puerto Rican’s and myself as Mexcian. Getting to know different cultures is something I enjoy,” Valdes stated.

Variety and culture are what Valdes enjoys seeing in this generation and how it’s more open than previous generations. Knowing the good aspects with other cultures and their ideologies.

“I feel like the friendships I make with that outweighs the negatives in this world. I know a lot of people don’t like it but I think it’s an opportunity and I know my parents didn’t have that and I’m definitely taking advantage of that,” said Valdes.

Creating long lasting friendships for people is what helps them while others might not feel that friends will help them in this world. Just having good camaraderie with others and benefiting off each other are what some people strive for.

“They came from Mexico and always around Mexicans and like there’s a lot of diversity here and a lot of different cultures and my parents didn’t have the chance and I do have it and I’m taking advantage of it because it’s very good and opened up new opportunities in life,” stated Valdes.

For Valdes, the generational gap between his parents and his generation creates different views on diversity, but seeing the vast difference shows what each generation faces. For Valdes being a Mexican American shows what his parents had to go through to get to the U.S.

“High school really changed me because I wasn’t really social and when high school came around, it opened me up to wrestling or tech crew and really opened up a voice in me,” Valdes claimed.

The difficulty of fitting in a group of people or finding the right cliques of people is prevalent for some when going through their education years. High school for others brings new things to the table for them, creates long-lasting friendships, or exploration within yourself. But as well high school can be a time for stress and other negative traits.

“I definitely see myself meeting more cultures and I like to learn a lot of new cultures and then Rino is teaching me some more Japanese which I find really cool,” said Valdes.

Valdes feels that learning more cultures is a likely future for him and indulging himself into more cultures will be a great asset to him.

“Everybody faces adversity in some way like reverse racism and racism in itself. I feel like it shouldn’t be a subject, I think it shouldn’t matter because if your a bad person for what actions you do and if you keep making bad decisions,” Valdes claimed.