RBEA releases statement on Black Lives Matter movement

Liam Mathews, Editor in Chief

Below is a statement from the Riverside Brookfield Education Association addressing the Black Lives Matter movement and racial injustice across the country.

The Riverside Brookfield Education Association stands in solidarity with the Black community and against all forms of racism. We support the Black Lives Matter in its quest for racial equality, social justice and police reform. We recognize the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmad Arbery and countless others as evidence of the systemic racism that still plagues our country. The RBEA will not be complicit in our privilege and we are committed to stand with our black community to advance racial justice. Our membership empathizes with the RB community of color.

At RB we strive to foster an environment of acceptance and inclusivity. We vow not to tolerate hateful speech and actions within our classrooms, hallways and extracurricular spaces. Our curriculum continues to evolve to include the experiences, ongoing challenges, and achievements of people of color. African American history is American history. We encourage students of color to pursue careers in underrepresented fields, such as science, math, and education. To this end, we urge our administration to actively recruit people of color. Our ever changing demographics require a staff they is more representative of our student body. As we pursue professional development opportunities that address diversity and equity, we challenge our administrators and school board to implement meaningful change that directly addresses racial inequities within the bulldog community.

The RBEA has a responsibility to support and nurture an informed, civic minded, and engaged student body. We acknowledge that this is an ongoing process and there is much work to do. We are witnessing our Bulldogs take part in protests and demonstrations across our community and beyond. To our Black students and their allies, we hear you, we are with you, and we are proud of you. Injustice for one is injustice for all.