How to do self care when in remote learning

How to do self care when in quarantine! Collage by Ashley Whigam.

Ashley Whigam, Staff Reporter

From the beginning of the COVID-19 outbreak, times have been hard and very different. From being quarantined since March, up to starting the new school year with full remote learning. A lot of students have been experiencing waves of stress with school work and feeling restless sitting inside staring at a computer all day. Lots of times we forget to check in with ourselves and our mental well being, as well as taking a self-care day. If you find yourself struggling to find something that will keep you sane, here are some ideas to help you de-stress and relax. 

• Take a walk outside 

One of the best ways to clear your mind and remain calm is to take a walk outside and breathe in the fresh air. If you have a dog, this is the perfect time to do some bonding time with your fur friend. Or if you have a family member stuck inside with you, ask them if they would like to take a walk around the block with you. I would recommend taking an evening walk because that’s when it is the coolest, plus there is a bonus if you are able to see the sunset.

• Have a family night 

Family is one of the most important things in life, and what’s better than having fun with the people you love. Ask your parents if you can go out and get ice cream or grab a bite to eat. But, if your parents do not feel comfortable interacting with the public (because of the COVID), then you can try suggesting a family game night! Break out those board games! You can even stream that new movie you have been wanting to see for a while! 

• Bake or cook one of your favorite dishes

Fall is coming and the days are starting to get cooler, this is the perfect time to flaunt those baking skills! Make a family favorite cookie recipe, or look up some yummy ideas from various baking profiles on Instagram or even TikTok. But, if you just want to bake something hassle-free, ask your parents if they can buy you some Pillsbury Halloween Sugar Cookies from your local grocery store! If baking is not your thing, then try whipping up one of your favorite meals and have a nice family dinner with your parents and siblings! 

• Get creative and chill out 

Pick one day of the week where you can set an hour aside, either before or after homework, to just chill out man! Get away from your screen and go draw or paint something fun! Look up some cute and simple Pinterest DIY ideas! Try reading that book you keep telling yourself you will get around to. Do something that does not require more screen time than needed. 

• Journal

While some people (like myself) do not necessarily journal on a daily basis, there are tons of individuals that do. People have said that it has helped them de-stress and feel less anxious after putting down everything they are feeling on a blank page. Even if you are not a fan of writing, you can try drawing or doodling as a way to let out all your frustration and worries. If you feel the need to want to get into the habit of writing a daily journal then go for it! If you feel like it is not for you then that is perfectly okay too! 

• Call your friends

While we can not see our friends at school any more that does not mean we can not call them up and chat for a while. Even if it is just for five minutes or a good three hours, call your friends. Mental health-wise this is not the best situation, due to all the stress and worry many families have to deal with from both school and the pandemic. Especially if you know someone who may or may not be struggling with their own situations. Call your friends and check in with them, even if you think “They are probably busy with homework” or “They are doing fine”. You never know who is fighting silent battles and needs someone to talk to. 

• Take a self-care spa or pamper night

Take a night this week to really relax and do some deep cleansing. Blast your favorite music and have your own shower concert! Or take a nice soothing bath and just sink into the soothing bubbles. Do a face mask or do your skin routine,  shave, moisturize, even paint your nails. Then get your favorite snack and rewatch The Office again, find a new movie, check out the new episode releases of your favorite show on Netflix! Listen to some music and have a dance party, or do the opposite; if you feel like you really need it, just take a really good nap!

• Meditate or do some yoga

While exercising is not for everyone, there is still one way you can make sure you are getting movement for your body: yoga and meditation. Yoga is said to be one of the best exercises to help a person calm down, destress, and clear the mind. Try to find time after school to do some quick yoga stretches and practice some deep breathing exercises. Some great apps you can use are Headspace and Insight Timer. You can also visit Darbee.com and look up the different yoga exercises they have! If you are feeling like you want to challenge yourself a bit look into their 30 Days More of Yoga Program!

• Go for a drive or stop at Target

Going for a nice drive even if it is just to the store or the gas station is a nice way to detach yourself from the screens and enjoy the world around you. If your parents allow you, hit up your local Target and check out the Halloween decorations. Buy yourself a new sweatshirt, get a fall scented candle, or just buy a whole bag of Halloween candy for yourself because why not, right? It’s getting close to the season. 

• Reach out!!

If you find yourself seriously struggling mentally, physically, or emotionally please please please reach out to a trusted adult! If you have issues going on at home, talk to someone! It can be a family member, a friend, a neighbor, your counselor, or one of the social workers here at RB! All counselors, social workers, and school psychologists are available via email and if you need to see them there are appointment request forms for a Zoom meeting that can be found on the RB webpage. The school also has a Text -To-Talk support helpline that you can reach out to in times of need, 844-670-5838.

Remember you are not alone! You are loved so much by so many people who are willing to help support you and help you stay healthy and safe in this challenging time!

I hope you can find some of these ideas helpful and can help you stay happy and calm despite the fact that we are still dealing with COVID 19.