Class of 2024 transitions into high school remotely

Kids on a zoom call. Illustration by Ali Beatty.

Carmen Guerrero, Staff Reporter

The transition from middle school to high school is already a tough process for almost any incoming freshman. It can be scary and overwhelming for a person to experience new teachers, as well as meet hundreds of kids that they have never even seen before. But as students start their ninth grade year in 2020, things look a little different. With COVID-19 in our world now, these students’ stress levels are bound to go up. 

When talking to a few Class of 2024 students at Riverside Brookfield High School, it became very clear that the high amount of pressure put on students is almost universal. 

“The teachers are giving us a ton of homework, and it’s just really hard to balance it with everything else I do outside of school, I also feel like it’s hard sometimes to truly understand the material through a screen,” Freshman Emily Organ said. 

By having remote learning in full effect this year, all classes must be through an electronic device, meaning students must stare at a screen for more than four hours each day. Having classes online of course comes with many obstacles. Trying to log on, or having your WiFi shutdown is distractive and stressful for almost any student when all they really want is to be able to listen and see their teacher. 

“I already don’t know the pace of high school work, so for it to be on Zoom on top of it, is really stressful for me,” Organ said. 

Freshman Maria Dalton also explained, “Some days feel more stressful than others, it isn’t as easy to communicate with your teachers through your zoom classes.”

Seeking help one-on-one with a teacher was also a big concern for most students, especially freshmen. RB took this into consideration and made the day to day schedule with office hours built-in. Which is a time slot at the end of each day for anyone to go, see, and talk to their teachers in a smaller group where they can receive extra help if needed.  

“Homework will get stressful if I’m not fully understanding the material; however, office hours are helpful because I feel that it’s easier to communicate with your teachers,” Dalton said. 

COVID-19 has impacted every freshman student this year. Learning is tough through a screen and adds stress to these students’ lives greatly.

“I hope soon enough things can get better and school will go back to the way it once was, normal,” Organ said.