Basketball brought to a pause: High School Hoops season postponed to spring

Marc Helgeson

The empty RB east gym.

Lexi Herrera, Staff Reporter

Riverside Brookfield High School girls and boys basketball teams have been put on hold due to COVID-19 cases rising in Illinois. 

Even though students were hoping to see a positive outlook for winter sports, the second surge in COVID-19 cases quickly dismissed this idea. Illinois moved back into tier three mitigations on Friday, November 20th, in order to accommodate safety with rising cases. 

Currently all winter sports are on hold from practicing or competing. Basketball has been deemed a ‘high risk sport’ by the IDPH. So, we are uncertain what any type of season will look like,” said Mike Reingruber, the boys head basketball coach. “The IHSA seems to be meeting every couple of weeks to evaluate the health situation and create possible new plans.“  

“Covid affected me as a player because I won’t be able to have a senior year for basketball,” says Mia Jenke, girls varsity basketball player. “It sucks because we put in all this effort and energy these past 3 years and it was cut short.” 

It is no secret that COVID-19 has caused a drastic change in the way society is functioning today. Young adults are missing out on the activities they love. Most importantly, they are lacking the social interaction that comes with sports. 

Sporting events in high school seem like a distant memory at this point. Being able to connect and support peers at sporting events created a sense of unity across the school.

“Covid has really taken a toll on everyone. I miss the consistent interaction with my staff and players. I miss seeing the joy, happiness, camaraderie, school spirit, commitment, family environment, and growth within my program. We all know how important and integral sports are in our lives and this has been a reminder to enjoy every moment and opportunity we have,” stated Dallas Till, girls basketball head coach, when asked how has COVID-19 affected him as a coach.

The joy and happiness that comes with each basketball season is accompanied by the RBHS cheer team, who is also greatly affected by COVID-19 for their winter season. IHSA recently announced the cancellation of the cheerleading season for this winter since it is ruled as a high risk sport. 

Boys varsity basketball player Deandre Harris said,  “a pro I see rather than a con is that we have free time to spend with our family and really focus on school.” 

Even though life is not ideal right now, it is obvious that students are taking advantage of this time to spend it with their families and improve themselves.