Staff Profile
Kenna Howorth
Kenna Howorth
Story Editor

RB reacts to options at lunch

Students+in+the+lunchroom+at+the+center+station.+
Ella Herr
Students in the lunchroom at the center station.

For years, the Riverside Brookfield High School cafeteria has been feeding students each day, providing a variety of different meals to supply them with the nutrients they need. These students, however, have a variety of opinions on the meals that they would like to voice.

Some entrées in the cafeteria are more widely received than others, resulting in many responses to each menu option. Known for its long line and plethora of toppings, the salad is very popular among students.

“I really like the salads. Those are my favorites,” sophomore Hayden Clark said. “I get them at least once a week.”

The salad bar is well liked by most students for a variety of reasons, such as its convenience and healthiness. A large reason for its popularity is the variety of toppings and dressings, which gives each person an exciting array of options to pick from.

“I like the cafeteria salads because there’s so many different options and they taste really good,” said freshman Naomi Ostrowski.

The salad bar lets students customize their meal to their liking. Getting to choose from such a wide selection allows this option to cater to many different people.

“The salad [is the best option] because you can get jalapenos and pineapple, and they are really good together,” freshman Jack Galloway said.

Other options that are popular in the cafeteria are ones that are only offered one day a week rather than daily. Two of these meals are the chicken wings and the beef sandwich.

“My favorite food in the cafeteria would have to be the beef sandwich,” junior Alyssa Morris said. “I like it because it comes once a week.”

Many students favor the chicken wings as well, which comes with a side of french fries and a sauce of the student’s choice.

“I definitely like the wing bar because it’s the best tasting food, and also it gives me that good feeling,” senior Joseph Hiltscher said.

Though there are many favorable options in the cafeteria, some students have new ideas that would elevate the cafeteria experience for everyone, one regarding the escalating prices of the food.

“All they really need to do is stop raising the prices,” Morris said. “It’s unnecessary.”

The charge on food items rises fairly often, which some students find unfair and want a change.

“The prices have definitely gone up,” Clark said. “We are not getting our bang for our buck anymore.”

Another difference that students would like to see is an advancement in dietary options. A larger variety of food for people who have these restrictions would increase sales.

“There are not a lot of gluten or dairy free options, and those people, especially some of my friends, have to bring their own lunch because they don’t have that option,” Hiltscher said.

Students who pack their own lunches have ideas on meals that could be offered to increase interest in buying cafeteria lunch.

“They should have soft pretzels and pasta or mac and cheese bars,” sophomore Olivia Krzystofiak said.

More beverage options are also wanted by students.

“I would like to see a fountain drink station,” freshman Maggie McCoy said.

The cafeteria workers put in great effort to supply students with food each day, distributing many meals that cater to many students.

“I would say it’s a better cafeteria [than other cafeterias] because they have more of a variety of food,” Morris said.