Staff Profile
Kellie Halvey
Kellie Halvey
Staff Reporter

RB named exemplary by the Illinois State Board of Education

Madison Polich
Students completing coursework during the day at RB.

The Illinois School Report card, released by the Illinois State Board of Education, awarded Riverside Brookfield High School the summative designation of exemplary, meaning RB is performing in the top 10% of schools statewide and currently has no underperforming student groups.

“Collaboration works. When teachers, administrators, parents, students, community members, the board, superintendent, district personnel, when we all work together you see positive results,” RB Principal Hector Freytas said. “This is a testament of us just coming together, believing in our mission, and working to honor it.”

This is the first year RB has been given the title of exemplary by the Illinois State Board of Education, and RB administration is proud to have their efforts highlighted by the state.

“It’s a great accomplishment and great recognition not only for Riverside Brookfield High School but for all the stakeholders in the communities that we serve, and it’s a representation that the community should be happy that their tax dollars, and their investments in their local schools are paying off,” Superintendent Dr. Kevin Skinkis said.

An emphasis has been placed on the RB teacher’s role in this achievement.

“A lot of the credit, if not all the credit, needs to go to our staff, our building administration, and our teachers [that] have done a really good job implementing interventions, looking at student data, really working through our MTSS Process, our multi-tiered system of supports to make sure that students when they come in as freshmen stay on track to graduate,” Skinkis said.

According to the report card, 96% of RB’s freshmen are on track to graduate, and we have a 94% graduation rate. These statistics, along with many others, highlight RB’s academic prowess.

“We’ve just always had a very high graduation rate, you know which I absolutely love. The purpose of school is to get students in school, get them graduated, and set up for success,” Freytas said.

The report accumulates data on academic progress, school environment, population demographics, and many other factors impacting a schools performance. The administration plans to continue to look at student data to gauge what kind of assistance is needed for success in the future.

“The staff, the students, and the community should all be very proud. But again it’s a one year designation, and we need to continue to put our best foot forward, so that we can do a good job on next year’s school report card,” Skinkis said.

The administration plans to continue to strive for better with the school years ahead and hope to build upon the positive environment already held at RB.

“I’ve always known that we were an exemplary school, since I first walked in five years ago. And it’s nice to finally get the official blessing and recognition from the Illinois State Board of Education, the top school official. But I’ve always known because our teachers love our students, they care, they build relationships, they go above and beyond,” Freytas said. “We take exemplary steps everyday at RB.”