Staff Profile
Gabrielle Tarrant
Gabrielle Tarrant
Staff Reporter

Clarion reviews: Valentine’s Day treats

Miya Sahgun

In light of the Valentine’s season, many fast food places offer festive treats for the holiday. Some of the places included Dunkin, Baskin Robbins, and Krispy Kreme. While some treats stood out, others fell short. Here are our opinions on each of these Valentine’s Day sweets.

Starting off with Dunkin, they offered an iced pink velvet macchiato (that you can get hot too) and a “Cupid’s Choice” donut. The macchiato is described as an espresso with red velvet cake flavoring and hints of cream cheese frosting. When you are given the drink, it looks very festive with the separation between the espresso and pink red velvet flavoring, but once it is mixed, it just looks like a regular iced macchiato, and, in our opinion, that is exactly how it tastes too. It was not a bad coffee, but we could not taste any of the red velvet cake or cream cheese frosting flavor. It really just tasted like iced coffee with lots of cream and sugar in it. Although it was not bad, we would not describe it as a good Valentine’s treat. Moving onto the “Cupid’s Choice” donut: the heart-shaped donut consisted of strawberry icing, pink and red sprinkles, and a Bavarian kreme filling. To be honest, neither of us like kreme filled donuts all that much, and this one was super sweet. It was almost overly sweet solely because of the icing. If you like very sweet and kreme filled donuts, this is a great option for you, but we would definitely pass.

Next, Baskin Robbins released an ice cream flavor exclusively for Valentine’s Day. By the name “Love Potion”, this ice cream was a white chocolate flavored base with raspberry swirls and chocolate chunks infused with more raspberry flavoring. This treat was definitely a favorite for us. The creamy white chocolate with the acidic punch of the berry along with the crunchy chocolate made for a delectable treat. What made it so delicious was that each bite was slightly different from the previous one because of the countless mix-ins. This ice cream easily stood out to us.

The last place we visited was Krispy Kreme. They had four Valentine’s Day donuts, two being fruity while the others were chocolatey. One of the two chocolate donuts, called “Without You I’d Crumble”, is a heart-shaped vanilla donut topped with chocolate frosting and a crumble of chocolate chip cookies. The donut is filled with a cookie dough flavored cream that is insanely sweet. If you love overly sweet treats, this is definitely the donut for you. For us, on the other hand, it had a little too much cream and not enough donut. Everything about it was sweet, which is technically the point, but it just was not appealing to either of us. Another donut that we tried was the “You’re Berry Sweet” donut. It was a heart-shaped donut dipped in strawberry icing and sprinkles and filled with cream. This donut was ABSURDLY sweet. Like OH. MY. GOODNESS. I felt like my teeth were deteriorating just by taking a bite of this donut. It was not enjoyable, in our opinion, and the flavor of the donut and the filling was not good enough to make up for how sweet it was. So, if you like donuts or treats that are very, very sweet, maybe this is a good option for you, but we personally do not think these donuts were worth the purchase.

In all, most of these sweets were overly sweet. While we know that them being very sweet is kind of the point, we think that it probably could have been toned down a bit, considering most of the treats were not even good. All we could focus on was the bamboozling sweetness that overwhelmed us very much. If you are the kind of person that LOVES treats that are very sweet and basically just plain sugar, these would probably be great desserts for you to try, but for us, we will be staying away from these SWEET treats.