Student Services offers support during e-learning

Madison Heninger, Editor

RBHS Student Services have made their resources accessible to students despite physical school being out of session.  

The decision for schools to supply free lunches to students on a free lunch program during the stay-at-home order was mandated by the state of Illinois. It was RB’s individual choice, however, to make lunches available to the entire student body. 

“Students who are hungry or who have to worry about food are not able to focus on learning. Additionally, providing lunch is one way the District can concretely help students during this very trying time,” said Assistant Superintendant Kristin Smetana. 

Students may pick up a lunch near Door A or, if needed, they can have lunch delivered to them. The staff involved with dropping off lunches and serving them follow proper health protocols in wearing a mask and gloves at all times. 

Other than lunch services, the majority of resources typically available in the building are now offered digitally.

Social workers, counselors, and school psychologists are working with students through various online mediums such as Zoom, Email, and Google Chats for academic and social-emotional guidance. Students can reach these online resources via email and schedule a time to speak with their individual counselor or a social worker.

“Social distancing has made it a little harder to connect with students, but student services continue to be available to all. It just takes a little longer, a little more back and forth communication to schedule a time that works best with students,” said Beth Augustine, Assistant Principal for Student Services. 

Other services are listed on the Student Resources page on the RBHS website, including the Text to Talk hotline that connects students to immediate social-emotional support and COVID-19 related assistance links for both students and parents. 

“The ability to check-in with students throughout the school week, and especially when students need support in real-time, is something that we take for granted. Not being able to help students immediately, or not knowing what students need help with, has been hard during e-learning,” said Augustine. “This experience has also reminded us of just how important the Student Services department is to our school community. During e-learning, we’ve been really creative in how we support and motivate students academically while also promoting a focus on mental health.”