Snowcoming returns to RBHS

A+game+played+during+the+Snowcoming+pep-rally.+

Colin Daniels

A game played during the Snowcoming pep-rally.

Chloe Borkowicz, Staff Reporter

Snowcoming – a twist between homecoming and a winter formal–is coming back for the first time in three years. The Student Association and the senior class sponsors have been working hard to make this dance a success. Taking place on February 17, the dance was held in the field house of Riverside Brookfield High School from six-nine in the evening.
Assistant Principal Dave Mannon, vice president of the senior class Olivia Buoscio, and the senior class sponsors have been planning the dance for months in advance to ensure an enjoyable and memorable experience for the students at RB.
“It is a nice social outlet for students to be together under one roof; we don’t get to do that too often,” Mannon said. “To get something together where everyone comes together just to have fun—that is something we encourage and something we want to see.”

As for the inspiration for this event, Mannon talks about how the students were the real stimulus for “Snowcoming”.
“We did it back in 2020, right before we closed things up for COVID, and it went over really well. It’s nice to get back to it,” Mannon said. “Student Association and the senior class officers really wanted to put this on. It was driven from there.”
Snowcoming has a history to it. It has been a gathering that has taken place some years, and skipped in others.
“It goes back to a Sadie Hawkins style dance years ago. We had a couple years where we didn’t have it at all,” Mannon said. “We brought it back in 2020. But then, with being out for COVID, we didn’t have it for a couple years. Now it’s making a comeback again. We would like to have this continue and make it a consistent thing on the schedule moving forward.”
Although the dance was not quite as formal as Homecoming or prom, it had many new aspects of it. Food, music, tables, and more were all at the dance.

“We will have a DJ with all of the extras: light show, photo booth. We will have concessions available from Boosters. They will offer a little more variety to the concessions area by the athletic department,” Mannon said. “So more of a variety than what they had at homecoming. Pizzas, candy, pop, water, stuff like that. We pulled out some tables for students that didn’t want to dance or needed a break down the main gym hallway.”

The main organizer of this occasion is Olivia Buoscio. Buoscio provided more insight on the thought process behind bringing the dance back.

“It’s a lot like the other dances we have had. But also, it’s for freshmen and sophomores because they don’t get two dances per year because they can’t come to prom,” Buoscio said. “I think it’s cool to have an indoor dance also, and it’s just going to be fun; extracurricular activities are fun.”

Buoscio describes the idea and thoughts behind the dance.

“We were thinking of things we could do as senior class officers to be more active in the community. The only thing we really do is the senior gift, and I had heard people talking about wanting an extra dance, but the official Student Association executive board didn’t have time to plan one,” Buoscio said. “I suggested to our officers to plan a winter dance and start a new tradition for the senior class officers to plan. We just went from there.”

Freshman Sophia Sanchez, gave some feedback on the dance.

“It gives students something to look forward to in the year,” Sanchez said. “I feel like after homecoming, the spirit kind of dies, so I think Snowco is a good way to bring it back.”

Another freshman at RB, Sam Bohrer, had opinions about if Snowcoming should be brought back in following years.
“I think it should be brought back more often because it really brings back the spirit and brings the school together,” Bohrer said. “I think everyone should be at this dance in the future. It was really fun.”

Freshman Maggie Porter agreed with the two; she had only positive words to say about the dance and hopes for its return.

“I think the dance should be brought back because it is something to look forward to in the second semester,” Porter said.

A junior at RB, Rachel Watson, thought a little bit differently. Although she liked it, she envisioned different ideas for the return of the dance in the future.

“I think it was fun, but I think it could be more of a once every other year kind of a thing,” Watson said. “I would like to keep the timing in the year the same with homecoming first and then this in the winter.”