Staff Profile
Kellie Halvey
Kellie Halvey
Staff Reporter

New principal selected

Having gone for months into the school year without a principal, RB has finally come to make a decision as to who is to fill this position. A board meeting took place on Tuesday, February 2nd, in which the final choice was reached. In the end, there were three finalists that Interim Superintendent David Bonnette and the school board could vote for.

Troy Gobble, the current interim assistant principal for instruction at RB; Pamela Bylsma, assistant principal for operations at Hinsdale Central High School; and David Travis, assistant principal for instruction at Elk Grove High School were the finalists.

Gobble was a physics teacher at RB and also became the science department chair. Last June, he was made assistant principal for instruction.

Bylsma’s teaching background has been focused on student services and she was a teacher for both English and Art.

Travis served in the U.S. Air Force. After his experiences serving his country, he applied to Elmhurst College and went on to become a teacher. He has a background in curriculum and instruction. 

The board meeting that occurred on Tuesday, February 2 decided who was to be the new principal of RB. The final decision was Pamela Bylsma.

With a very warm and inviting personality, she answered a few questions. When asked how she felt about her newly acquired job opportunity at RB, Bylsma’s excitement was hard to contain.

“I’ve spent a lot of time in the building getting to know students. This is a wonderful community and RB is special and unique,” said Bylsma “The students talk about how their teachers are there to help them. There are also a lot of classes that students are able to take.”

Bylsma must now make the transition from being the assistant to being in the big chair.

When questioned about her goals for the remaining school year, Bylsma expressed her desires to bring a collection of ideas and student voices together. To move forward with these ideas and allow the student opinion to be heard is one of her ultimate goals as principal.

“The student voice is huge to me,” remarked Bylsma, “I want to hear the students’ opinions and for them to be heard.”