Feed author Anderson visiting RB’s freshmen on April 9

After reading MT Anderson's (pictured above) novel Feed, freshmen students are getting a chance to hear the author speak in person on Monday, April 9th.

Renee Miedlar, Public Relations Editor

On April 9th, MT Anderson, author of the novel Feed, will be visiting RB to discuss his book with freshmen and former SEE team members. A select number of students will also be able to join him for a special breakfast during first period in the Alumni Lounge. Though the breakfast is only available for certain students, he will speak to all current freshmen and interested former SEE team students that want to attend during second period in the auditorium. Then during third period he will be speaking to Kathleen Harsy and Sarah Johnson’s AP Literature classes and Allison Cabaj’s Honors English 9 class.

“We’ve tried to get him to as many students as possible,” said Cabaj.

Earlier this year, Cabaj won the Margaret A. Edwards Award for her work with the library’s Abe Lincoln Readers program, and received a $500 award, so she decided to use the money to bring Anderson to speak to the students. She e-mailed Anderson’s publicist and Anderson ended up responding directly to her, which was something she wasn’t expecting.

Cabaj decided to use the money to have Anderson come speak because the staff working in the library was interested in bringing an author to speak to students.  Feed was a natural fit because the entire Freshman class had read the book as a common read this year.  Adding on former SEE Team students and some AP Lit students allowed her to reach over 500 students in total.

Moreover, Cabaj feels that the book is very relatable to teenagers. The book emphasizes the effects of an overload of technology on teenagers in the future.  Cabaj also thinks it speaks to the students’ perspective and what they enjoy in their world, which makes it easier for them to connect to the book.

Cabaj also wants the students to make an impression on Anderson. She wants Anderson to see how intelligent and hardworking our students are, something she says she sees every day.

Renee Miedlar, Public Relations Editor

Sugar and spice and everything nice, these are the things that make up Renee Miedlar. She enjoys a nice hot cup of tea paired with a long book. She also enjoys busting out a rhyme with her fellow Clarion member, Candice Shelbrack. Taco Tuesdays with her life long companion, Celina Villegas, is the highlight of her entire year. Her best friends and family mean the world to her, and she wouldn’t be able to survive high school without them. Some may question her ways, but soon realize that no one can reckon with her. She dreams of being Indiana Jones, discovering and saving the world on a daily basis.

When she’s not dreaming of being in an alter universe, she’s thinking of new ways to promote the paper to the RB community. She also works with AST and OLAS, her other guilty pleasures.

Renee Miedlar can be reached at [email protected]