National: Things You Need to Know for 10/6

Chris Olszewski, Opinion Editor

Protests Continue in the “Umbrella Revolution”

Thousands of protesters continue to gather in one of the largest pro-democracy protests since the Tiananmen Square incident in 1989. Riot police used tear gas and baton charges to no avail against the protesters. The protests, which have shut down the city’s business district, stemmed from Chinese refusal to allow Hong Kong to freely elect its next Chief Executive.

Hikers Dead After Eruption

Upwards of 48 people are believed to have died and 60 are wounded after Mount Ontake’s sudden eruption in Japan. Rescue efforts were suspended recently amid fears of more activity.  The volcano, Japan’s second tallest, last had volcanic activity in 2007.

12 Killed in Train Collision

12 people were killed and 45 were injured in a train collision near the Indian city of Gorhakpur on Tuesday. The drivers of one of the trains have been suspended for ignoring signals and causing the accident. Rescue operations are underway.

Girl Found After 12 Years Missing

A Texas teenager was found alive in Mexico after being missing for 12 years. Sabrina Allen was found in a small town outside Mexico City with the help of a private investigator, authorities said. The girl was finally found during a stealth operation conducted by both American and Mexican forces, in which one federal officer sustained a minor injury.

Protests in Colorado School District Continue

The fight between students and the school board in a school district in suburban Denver over the AP US History curriculum continues. The school board has proposed a new curriculum that has materials “promote citizenship, patriotism…respect for authority and respect for individual rights” in lieu of encouraging “civil disorder, social strife, or disregard for the law”.